Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a small removable deck?

michaelsync
Getting Established

How to build a small removable deck?

Hi all, 

I have two questions regarding the sleeper and the cover/deck. 

1. I am using the pavers as sleepers/formwork. (pointed with red arrows). Do you think it's strong enough or should I use the concreate sleeper? 

2. I want to have a small deck that covers this area. It needs to be removable if we need to access the door. I think I can't use the modular decking or composite decking since the size is different. Can I use the wood sleep as a frame instead of putting the base frame flat? 

Thank you.

IMG_20231220_011451.jpg

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Sleeper and small removable deck

Hi @michaelsync 

Can I propose a slight change to your construction so far?  I hope I can,  be so  a  you want a tempory moveable  deck.

Take the metal end caps out/off  and join the timbers together with  150mm galvanised nails.  Forming a box  shape with 4 sides.  Now add two  sleeper cross members at 1/3 and at 2/3 s of the way along your frame work (to support decking timbers)

Yes those pavers are strong as  concrete so you can use them under your new frame to support  in the same position as you have there in photo. Use the pavers to raise or lower  your planned deck height front and back adjust with extra dirt or less dirt.

Then just screw or nail treated  pine or a more fancy timber decking on the top long ways to form you deck.  The whole thing is pretty easy to move and relocate might be a little heavy for one person to lift so  take care  there.

See what you think and we can  expand from there.

Paslode 150 x 5.6mm 500g Galvanised Flat Head Nails - 15 Pack

I/N: 2360340

$10.80

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a small removable deck?

Hi @michaelsync 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building a small deck.

It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. Just to add to the suggestions made, I propose thinking about building a solid deck and creating a small access panel on the deck that will allow you to open the little side door. Can you please tell us what is inside the little side door?

In this manner it won't be necessary to lift the entire deck but just a panel door on top of the deck. I'm sorry but I'm just a little confused with your measurements. Would it be possible for you to double check how long and how deep the deck will be? Are you planning to lay pavers on the sand or something else? 

It looks like an interesting project. If you are laying pavers, please don't forget to post an update. I'm sure our members are keen to see what it will look like.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
michaelsync
Getting Established

Thank you, JewelleryRescue and Eric. 

183 cm is the distance between the wood sleeper and the concrete step. 307cm is the distance between the wall and the wood sleep. I am okay with covering the timer deck either from wall to wood sleeper or from concrete step to wood sleeper.

Not sure what it's inside the door. but our electrician went there when we changed the main switch so I assume that this is an access door for electricity or internet.

The height of the wood sleeper and the concrete step has a bit different height. The right side has the wood sleeper as a support and the left side won't have the support.

I tried to draw what JewelleryRescue suggested it. Another issue is that Bunnings can do simple woodcuts only (e.g. shorten the length). So it's hard to find the wood that fits the height. 

Thanks guys! 

@michaelsync and @EricL

Good spotting that door @EricL  I sure am  glad I dont have to crawl through it.

@michaelsync  I still recommend putting in a simple box frame with  extra cross supports. You have an awkward  space there complicated by crawl  way.

but not in the way of that under house door.  I would build a top cover in sections that sits on top of the box frame one part can be be lifted to access crawl space.

So @michaelsync  Think of a wooden box (Your sleepers) with 4 sides  but with a gap for the crawl space  door way to open fully.

Now think about building two lids  that sit on your  sleepers and  only the lid needs lifting not the whole deck.  Each deck  lid covers half the box you made.

On the cement glue decking on to look like the timber part.

Deck.jpg

Blue is sleepers

Red timber on top of sleepers 

Green decking lids.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects