Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a screen above 2m fence?

Steve5
Having an Impact

How to build a screen above 2m fence?

Hi,

Our property looks down to a road and I want to add a screen above my 2m fence to block my dogs from getting excited about cars going by. 

Adding the screen inside the fence line means no conflict with council 2m fence restrictions.

My idea is to repurpose some leftover 1.8m wide shade cloth and celing battens.  I only need to cover a section about 5m wide.  (see drawing)

6m ceiling battens will be rivetted together to make the posts  which will be concreted into the ground about 600mm (see drawing).

Grommets will be added to the shade cloth and a pulley to the top of the ceiling batten poles to raise the shade cloth into place. 

The shade cloth will be loosely wired to the ceiling batten poles using insulated wire a similar gauge as internal house wiring.  This will allow raising and lowering the shade cloth as needed.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Slide1.GIFSlide1.GIF

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a screen above 2m fence?

Hi @Steve5,

I think you'll find those ceiling battens are not designed for exterior or inground use and would likely rust out quickly. Perhaps consider using galvanised pipe which has a much thicker wall and protective galvanised coating. Apart from that, I think it's a fairly solid idea. 

Instead of using the electrical wire, you could neaten up the loops and create them from 6mm rope and rope slice clips. Remember, when you add your grommets to the shadecloth, you should first fold the edge over so your grommet goes through at least two layers. This will help prevent the grommets from being pulled out of the shadecloth.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Steve5 

Now that is an interesting way to create privacy! :smile: I really like the simplicity of it. 

Couple of questions of course :smile: It will be in effect a giant sail, would it be an idea to cut some of hose half circles in the shadecloth so it dosnt want to take out your fence? The second part instead of a 5m span could you do two of 3m spans? That way you wont have so much pressure on the posts and holes.

Dave

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hey Dave,  I've got some 50% and 90% shade cloth I used for a temporary snake fence.  I planed to use the 50% since it doesn't catch the wind as much but might also be good to use some of your ideas.   thanks!

Hi Mitchell, 

Thank for advice on ceiling battens rusting.  I've used them for chicken wire fence posts but no idea how long they will last. 

Yes, I plan to fold shade cloth over a few times.  I did the same when I joined 2 sections of shade cloth for a snake fence.  Folded them together and stitched with thin wire.  

I used poly rope to repair a gazebo canopy and it didn't last long in the sun.  Marine rope description sounds good but no reference to UV resistance, any idea how it will hold up in the sun?

Thanks, great having this forum to bounce ideas!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Steve5 

Marine rope such as the Grunt 6mm x 40m White Marine Braided Rope have been designed for marine and boating use. It is made from high quality flexible braided polyester. Its petrol and water-resistant.

In regards to UV protection, allow me to make a few inquiries regarding its UV resistance. I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Steve5,

The marine rope has an incorporated UV-resistant coating to help prevent damage and extend its lifetime in exterior applications. Of all the poly/synthetic ropes, it would be the most long-lasting choice.

Another option would be to create the loops from stainless steel rope if you're looking for something that will last many years.

Mitchell

Steve5
Having an Impact

thanks

Steve5
Having an Impact

Hi,

Thanks for the advice, here's lastest design.

What diameter galvanized posts would be strong enough?

How far should they be concreted in the ground using PostCrete and 200mm petrol auger, 500mm OK?

Thanks!

Steve5
Having an Impact

Fence Screen 17Nov2023 GIF.gif

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects