Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a paver platform for bins?

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

How to build a paver platform for bins?

Changing the pebbled area to pavers to make get the bins in and out a lot easier.

It's on the side of a sloped driveway and there are already pre-existing paving borders.

How much do I need to dig by for the road base and sand and pavers? Looking to have the end pavers lay flush as per the image shown as I will be turfing it the rest of the way down.

1000017325.jpg

1000017327.jpg

1000017326.jpg

1000017328.jpg

   

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Paver Platform for Bins

Good Evening @toffeeapple 

I really must do the same to my bin area :smile: When I do I will be working backwards-

- Paver height + Sand + road base = What you want to dig out.

Now I have layed pavers direct on clay with no issues for pathways. 

You could dig out say a paver and a half of soil and then use the sand or road base to fill the area. When laying pavers you could backfill as you go for any discrepancies in the depth of soil. 

If you are really keen on the roadbase first then maybe 50mm's worth, then use the sand for the discrepancies as fill.

Paver height + 10mm sand + 50mm road base = The depth you want

Are you going to use rectangular pavers or wiggly pavers?

Dave

toffeeapple
Growing in Experience

Will be using rectangular pavers. Planning to make it level instead of sloping down so may need to do roadbase and sand over existing paver.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@toffeeapple 

If you are raising the area I would suggest to remove the existing pavers, It will make it easier to compact the soil/roadbase. Also you may not need to dig the area out if you are raising it to the edge of that concrete we can see?

Dave

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @toffeeapple,

@Dave-1 has provided some great advice there. From your images, it appears you want to continue the paving and fill in the area, but it sounds like you might be going over the existing pavers. Your finishing height determines the amount you need to dig down. What would you like the finishing height of your pavers to be in line with?

Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to lay paving for a path.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

The starting point of the pavers would be to be flushed with the fence's gap so it does not show any gap and then straight/level all the way down to where the existing pavers are on the bottom.

Because the land is currently sloped and so are the existing pavers, we may need to remove the bottom pavers or lay it on top.

Also to note the side pavers are not on our property, it's the neighbours.

Please let me know if this helps.

1000017334.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @toffeeapple 

Could you show us a wider shot so we can see where the neigbours fenceline is? and just the general area so we know what else to take into consideration? 

Another question :smile: How low is the existing pavers compared to the concrete slab?

Dave

It sounds like it would be best, as @Dave-1 described above, to remove your paver height plus 60mm for roadbase and sand from the area. That will bring your pavers flush with the existing pavers and create one flat area. Any gaps at the fence can be concealed with edging.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Here are a few more photos.

We know there will be a step down from the top of the driveway to the pavers but we are looking to have it flushed/in line towards the bottom part.

1000017432.jpg

1000017433.jpg

1000017434.jpg

1000017431.jpg

   

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@toffeeapple 

It go with removing some of the gravel/rocks to your paver height plus 40mm for the road base. Once compacted you should need only a little sand to level any parts that might be out. Your best friend will be a mallet :smile: That way you bins can leave via the grass edge at the front.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects