Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a modular deck over alfresco exposed aggregate?

Mos
Just Starting Out

How to build a modular deck over alfresco exposed aggregate?

Hi All,

I am planning to install modular decking on the alfresco. The issue is, there are 5 weep holes that are approximately 100-110 mm from the floor. The minimum height of the modular decking is 110mm. Can I close those weep hole or part of it if I install the modular deck.    

Any suggestions/ feedback would be appreciated. 

Best regards, 

Mos

1000013214.jpg

1000013213.jpg

1000013215.jpg

1000013212.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a modular deck over alfresco exposed aggregate?

Hi @Mos,

Welcome to Bunnings Workshop. It's good to have you join the community and we look forward to seeing how you can transform your outdoor entertaining area.

Apologies for the slow reply. We didn't have our usual resident D.I.Y. expert assisting on the site over the weekend due to unexpected leave. 

Please have a look at the discussion What distance can pavers be from weep holes? in which there's some good discussion about the importance of weep holes and their purpose. The guide How to build a low-level deck should also be useful for you.

Let me tag @JacobZ95@TedBear@Jewelleryrescue and @Nailbag for their thoughts on your plans.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Mos I would just leave them as is. They shouldn't interfere with you deck construction and blocking them up could effect their purpose.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Mos,

Partially or fully blocking the weep holes is not a good idea and likely would be against construction codes. The weep holes allow your walls to breathe and drain excess moisture. If they were partially covered, it would lead to damage in the wall structure. I recommend having at least a 5mm+ gap between your deck structure and them; do not place the deck structure hard against them.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects