Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a low-lying deck?

funky-millar
Just Starting Out

How to build a low-lying deck?

Hi,

Im about to build a low lying deck off my house which I have drawn up in Autocad.

It will only be as high as the ledge from the sliding door so only 200-300mm off the ground.  

I have some of which is the alfresco and pillers which is in concrete and the rest in dirt.

- Can I get away with posts in the ground with concrete (say 100mm min underneath) and 600mm long posts which are 100x100 square?  And then just have spacers for the concrete area or get away with L-brackets into the concrete?

What size bolts would I use for this project?  I will use joists and bearers which are normal but do I use 100X10mm into the brick work for the facer bearers?  And do I use 100X10g for the bearer bolt connections also?

I will install stumps at max 1500mm centres also which havent been drawn on the picture as yet.

- Do i also need to provide drainage/black matting/rocks and that kind of thing underneath and are there standards?  Where would I outlet the drainage area too if needed due the surrounds being lawn.

And any feedback on the drawing itself to change or modify would be greatly appreciated.

Orange = Bearers, Purple = slats, Green = joists

Regards Darren

• funkymillar_0-1705893847151.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to build a low-lying deck?

Hello @funky-millar 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your low-level deck.

I suggest having a look at these guides - How to build a low-level deck by @Adam_W and How to build a deck by @MitchellMc. These guides will provide you with things you'll need to take into consideration when building your deck. 

Allow me to try and answer some of your questions.

• In order for posts to provide proper support, I suggest a minimum depth of 500mm. This will resist twisting and shearing should a large amount of force be applied to it.

• I propose using angled brackets and spacers to anchor your frame to the concrete base.

• The size of your timber and brackets will dictate the size of your nut and bolt set. 

• If you are mounting ledgers to your brick wall, I suggest using Ramset 300ml Chemset UltraFix Plus in combination with Chemset studs. Otherwise, you have the option of build a floating decking frame so that you don't have to drill into the brick walls.

• In regards to your stumps, I propose installing them closer with a distance of 1 meter. This is to prevent the deck from having a bouncy frame. 

• A simple rule to keep in mind regarding drainage is to point it towards a drain pit or where it is most likely to drain away from your property.

I also suggest having a look at the Bunnings deck building guide:

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to build a low-lying deck?

Hello @funky-millar,

Trust you've been well. How is your deck build coming along? 

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any additional questions. We'd be happy to help. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects