Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach mesh screen for gap under house?

diyallday
Getting Established

How to attach mesh screen for gap under house?

Hi,

I'd like to use this mesh similar to:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/jack-190mm-x-10m-fire-guard-gutter-mesh_p3040312

to cover a 10cm gap along the base on a house. The walls are fibro.

What would be the best method to attach the mesh? Would a separate timber frame be best?

Thanks

gap under house.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: mesh screen for gap under house

Afternoon @diyallday 

I like your suggestion of a timber frame actually. I hesitate to drill into fibro, mainly for the chance of cracking it and then the issue of what to do.

If you made a few long rectangular sections out of timber the same height of the wire and then stapled the wire/screwed or even nailed it t could look pretty nice.

Or maybe some metal pegs into the ground next to the fibro and then wedge the mesh down between both?

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach mesh screen for gap under house?

Hello @diyallday 

Thanks for sharing your question about building a mesh screen for your house. I propose having a look at using 100 x 16mm 4.8m Edging H4 Treated Pine Wet. I suggest cutting it down into 25mm strips to create a frame where you can staple the Jack 190mm x 10m Fire Guard Gutter Mesh.

I recommend using the Jack 450mm Sleeper Peg Steel Flat Stake to hold the frame in place. This will save you from having to nail or glue into your fibro walls. I've placed a sample sketch below to give you an idea of how you can build the cover. Please note that the measurements are for reference only. Please adjust them to your needs.

If you have any other question we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
diyallday
Getting Established

Great answer. Thank you.

It could work, but I'm now thinking about garden edging, perhaps:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/tuscan-path-150mm-x-6m-eucalypt-garden-edging_p0238054

with pegs. I'm hoping small gaps with the corrugated shape will allow sufficient airflow.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diyallday 

The Tuscan Path 150mm x 6m Eucalypt Garden Edging is a good way to block off the gap. However, its solid construction will impede a great deal of airflow. The corrugated surface will allow air to pass over it but not through it. 

Between the two, I believe the mesh screen will provide better ventilation underneath your house. However, if this is not issue for you then the garden edging should work nicely. 

Let me call on @Dave-1 and @JacobZ95 for their opinion on the proposed covers.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Evening @diyallday 

I do like the idea of multi using aproduct tho I think in this case you could end up with dam/humidity issues down the track. @EricL nailed it when he said it would impede the airflow greatly. It would look tidy I admit but in a year or a bit more the dampness could becomne an issue. I dont believe the corroragetd channels would allow too much air through.

How about RapidMesh 900 x 1200mm 25 x 25mm Silver Wire Mesh Panel  and trim it down so it just sits over the edge of the wall down to the ground. It will let air through and is course enough to stop mulch from falling through when the mulch is up against it.

Dave

diyallday
Getting Established

Fantastic. @Dave-1 and @EricL, thanks for the tips.

While browsing the aisle, I spotted this garden edging:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/matrix-400-x-900mm-charcoal-foliage-garden-edging_p3321779

It should be the ideal compromise and easy to install.

Really appreciate the advice and saving me from the issues with lack of ventilation.

Happy Easter!

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Evening @diyallday 

Bingo! :smile: now that is a classy looking alternative :smile:

I must say just wandering down the aisles is a lot of fun, espicially when you have a job in mind and you are trying to think around an issue :smile:

Any chance of a pic when you are done? :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects