Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to attach bamboo screen to Colorbond fence?

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

How to attach bamboo screen to Colorbond fence?

Hi,

I was wondering how I would install 

EDEN 1.8 x 3m Natural Bamboo Screen Fencing

To colobond fence. Been searching around but haven't found how I could do it.

I've read that something about some timber along top and bottom of fencing attached.

Advise and help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to attach bamboo screen to Colorbond fence?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @kelso101. It's amazing to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about installing screening on a Colorbond fence.

Fixing timber batons to the top and bottom of the fence offers convenient mounting points for your screening and overcomes the inability to screw into the actual Colorbond panels. Once the horizontal timber batons are connected to the fence posts with self-drilling screws, you can use timber screws to fix your bamboo screening to them.  

In this discussion, you can see how timber was attached to a Colorbond fence allowing solid panels to be fixed to it: Attaching screens to Colorbond fence by @eemrun.

Alternatively, if you stretch the bamboo screening tight enough, you might be able to screw it directly into the upright posts of the Colorbond fence.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Thank you very much for your reply. Is there any that you can recommend that I can use?

Also what can I use as a coating for the screen to not rot or protect from rain/sun? Or is there no need?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101,

So sorry. What was it that you wanted a recommendation on? 

Bamboo will last a significant amount of time, but it has a lifespan since it's an organic material. I'd expect to see around five years before it starts to look a bit rough around the edges. You could coat it with an exterior varnish, which might prolong its life. I typically replace mine every several years to keep it looking fresh.

Mitchell

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Like is there a width length of timber baton that wouldn't affect the colorbond fence from bending or tipping over?

Sorry for the queries not too knowledgeable but keen to do DIY stuff 

Thank you

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101 

I recommend using the Porta 40 x 18mm 2.4m Treated Pine DAR. I suggest mounting the timber first to the Colourbond post then screwing the bamboo screen onto the timber battens. This type of timber is not very heavy and will not affect your fences alignment.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric  

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Thank you,

What size or type of screw would be applicable for both?

Would staple nail work on attaching Eden natural bamboo screen fencing to the timber?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101 

I recommend using Zenith 10G x 40mm Galvanised Self Embedding Head Metal Screws Winged. They are self-drilling and designed to fix timber to metal substrates. Please note, if you are mounting timber to a Colorbond fence it's important that it be fixed onto the posts and not the fencing sheets as the screws will pose a hazard to those on the other side of the fence.

As for the bamboo screen, I suggest using Zenith 8G x 30mm Galvanised Button Head Stitching Timber Screws. My best advice is to drill pilot holes in the bamboo to prevent splitting them.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

Eric

kelso101
Cultivating a Following

Thank you for your assistance

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @kelso101 

Please keep us updated with your progress, if you run into any installation issues, please let us know. We'll be more than happy to provide assistance.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects