Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add privacy to a weatherboard house?

kateeliz26
Just Starting Out

How to add privacy to a weatherboard house?

Can I stick something like this to the side of a weatherboard house so people can't see down the driveway behind it?  I want to put it on the right of the house, between the house and the hedge. I'd leave enough room on the right so I could walk through, just want something to provide some privacy.  https://www.bunnings.co.nz/williams-trellis-1800-x-900-x-10mm-shorts-oriental-privacy-screen_p007437...IMG_1140.JPG

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/williams-trellis-1800-x-900-x-10mm-shorts-oriental-privacy-screen_p007437...

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add privacy to a weatherboard house?

Hello @kateeliz26 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about installing a privacy screen on the side of your house.

It is definitely possible to screw the trellis to the side of your house. However, I would suggest adding a timber post such as the 50 x 50 x 600mm H4 Rad Peg on the other side to prevent the screen from swinging in strong wind. 

My only other tip is to make sure to paint the trellis so that it will last longer out in the open.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and mask when working on your project.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Top 10 most popular fence projects

I also suggest having a look at these discussions - D.I.Y. Merbau front fence by @Rodney and Feature wall fence with Matrix screen panels by @diy_hausdesigns.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to add privacy to a weatherboard house?

Hi @kateeliz26,

Just wanted to extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. 

What a beautiful home you have! I trust Eric's reply was very helpful, but please let us know if you need anything further. And please come back when you have finished the project and share some photos. I'm sure other members would love to see the end result.

Please let us know if you ever need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We're here to help.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects