Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add moulding to existing doors?

chris97
Getting Established

How to add moulding to existing doors?

Hi Bunnings Community

When adding door moulding/timber trim to existing doors, which moulding is the best to use?

There's so much choice

Thankyou

Chris

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How to add moulding to existing doors

Hi @chris97 

You are right there are many choices  consider looking around your house at the moulding styles and take a couple  of photos of them and if you wish we can try and match them  with bunnings stocks.

Having said that there are no rules to say you cant pick a new  moulding you love the shape off and start creating your own style,

See how you feel about which  way you want to go and we all can help.

chris97
Getting Established

Hi @Jewelleryrescue 

there's no current moulding on any of my doors - so I wanted to add some before painting!

Im thinking something similar in style to the below - nice and simple, maybe 3 squares. 

chris97_0-1703157742836.png

Hi @chris97 

Thats a nice choice, 2 or three boxes is a plan both look  a treat. :smile: 

The  closest match  to that was 

Porta 31x11mm 2.4m Insert Mould Clear Pine 

I/N: 0080002

$21.20

But if you type in " moulding "  in bunnings on line search you can scroll through other close matches 

Tools you might need are a

- mitre box for 45 degree angles cuts 

-  panel hand saw a gentle clean cut,

- nail punch

400 Gt sand paper for cuts  sanding.

Thin panel nails 20mm long bullet head so they can be nail punched slightly deeper than the timber height.

No more gaps to fill any gaps under timber if they occur. ready  for  painting. and nail  holes.

Enjoy your  project would love a  photo  here later :smile:

Ask more questions as you need to :smile:

Thanks @Jewelleryrescue for the suggestions - one more quick question, are both sides of the door normally done? I cant find examples online

Hi @chris97 

Typically Cornathan type doors  have Sunken  patterns that appear on both sides of the door. 

But there are zero  rules about this and totally up to your personal newly developing style.

I have Cornathan doors mostly but one door is a solid  door so I did like you plan put a raised pattern on the outside of the door and there was no need to put one inside as that room has its own style inside disconnected from the look of the  hallway doors.

You may wish squares on the outside and a diamond (Square turned 90degrees on the inside)  for  a quirky look if you wanted to be a  DIY rebel in a good way.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @chris97 

It's wonderful that you've received excellent advice from @Jewelleryrescue. I totally agree that there are no fixed rules when revamping your door. However, I suggest thinking about doing both sides of the door so that you keep uniformity throughout the house. My only other tip is to use Selleys 420g Liquid Nails Fast Grab Strong Adhesive in combination with the nails you'll be using.

I also recommend having a look at this discussion - How to add moulding to internal doors? by @MarleyJ_Aus

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects