Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add downpipes to rainwater tanks?

Gayleis
Finding My Feet

How to add downpipes to rainwater tanks?

I can’t get someone to put gutter downpipes to my raintanks, or the taps and overflows, so I have to try and do them. (I’m at Curramulka Yorke Peninsula if anyone can do them!)

I googled how to do the taps but I’m scared I’ll muck it up. Advice would be appreciated!

I have old metal square downpipes. , 70x70.

E3A862B3-B708-447B-A819-0C4D69729AB0.jpeg

E4C0F7F3-4382-4025-A1C3-249BFEDEC37D.jpeg

9A63D4A3-F57F-4E2E-AC90-22EFAC8B3B70.jpeg

09073C77-5C19-4668-BC77-DAF94EF5919B.jpeg

F1110B1B-1383-440D-BB76-EBC99CB0A018.jpeg

I can’t find this size, so trying to learn how to change them.

There are 2 large tanks on a stone stand. They need to be joined by a pipe so water fills both and will have one downpipe to feed into the closest tank. It used to have a metal one, spanning 5m without support, from the house. Not sure poly can do that.

I also have a 5000L tank on a stand at the house, and a tank at the side on the house for the Orchard at ground level, 3m from the house. There is 2 gutter downpipe above another here. One used to go around the corner to the house tank. Wondering if I could join them together to go to Orchard tank.

I’d like to add a flush pipe to them also. No clue what I’m doing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add downpipes to rainwater tanks?

Hi @Gayleis,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Unfortunately, due to the licenced and regulated nature of the industry, this is a question best suited to a plumber, which I understand because of your location could be quite difficult to find. Might I suggest looking on Hipages or True Local for someone working in your area.

Allow me to call on the brains trust to see if they have any thoughts on what you could do; @Dave-1, @Nailbag, @TedBear @Noyade.

Jacob

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Gayleis you should be right to divert downpipes to the tanks, it's making any overflow connections back to the property stormwater you won't legally be permitted to do. The DIY part for me anyway would be very difficult to try and advise on with physically seeing the job at hand. As per @JacobZ though being in a remote area there surely must be plumbing trades or even water tank suppliers who can do this work. Doing a quick Google search these ones below came up as ones that cover your area.

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 10.32.38 AM.png

Thank you Jacob! Appreciate that! Have a good day 

Hi thank you for your advise. I’ve tried every plumber in a 100km of me. No one available for months. 

all the downpipe will go to tanks, overflow will be directed to gardens. Is that what you are calling stormwater? Sorry not much knowledge on the correct terms 

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @Gayleis , the first thing to do is to find out what you are doing... that is, what is the final outcome that you want to achieve? There are adaptors available for downpipes. You could even create your own if need be. For that option, check out Youtube videos... many good ideas and methods described there. Am I right in counting that you have 6 tanks to fill? Do you intend to fill them by connecting them in series, or will some be filled directly from the gutters? What are their relative heights... that is will the overflow of some be fed to another lower one, or are they at about the same height? Will you be drawing water from each independently, or do you just need one final outlet from them all? If you can't get a tap fitting through the wall of some of them, then you could consider a syphon system to pull water out over the top, perhaps. Do they currently hold water? If not, then of course now is the time to fit the taps.  Hopefully we can advise you on the "how" but first, to better understand the "what" of the project. Looking forward to your reply.

95D00B1B-4A72-433B-9591-F45F0DC47DF7.jpeg

Hi.

4 tanks in all. They are empty.

I’ll be joining the two large tanks, so they both keep the same level of water. One downpipe to one of these tanks. This used to be meal, and unsupported over 5m from house to tank.

1 x Smaller tank at house. It used to be fitted to cold tap at the house. I’ll  work that out later.

This is what it looks like before the tank was put there. All gutter downpipes were 70x70. I am trying to work out how to change them and how to do a flush pipe.

I'm going to redirect the one coming around the corner, in to the new tank opposite where that downpipe starts.

I can’t find 70x70. I think I have to start from scratch. I just wish I could find someone to do it! It’s well above my knowledge and physical capabilities. I don’t even own a ladder that big. I’m too old for this stuff 😑

38329CB5-01D9-4690-92D2-E555AA252609.jpeg

If you think this is not something you can tackle yourself, consider simply booking in one of the plumbers. Waiting weeks/months for many trades is common around the country both regional and metro.

Nailbag

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Gayleis,

70 x 70mm downpipe is not a standard size that you'll readily find, so you'll likely have to start again from the gutter with something like 100 x 75mm or 100 x 50mm.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects