Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to add carpet to a Rapid Mesh cat enclosure?

jennig
Finding My Feet

How to add carpet to a Rapid Mesh cat enclosure?

I’ve just ordered a rapid mesh pet enclosure for my cat to use on my balcony. Shelves and ramps are included in the product but I want to cover them with marine carpet. How do I attach the carpet to the mesh shelves?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to add carpet to a Rapid Mesh cat enclosure?

Hi @jennig,

Was it this RapidMesh 122 x 106 x 73.5cm Cat Enclosure With Tunnel that you ordered?

The easiest option I can think of would be to punch two holes in each corner of the carpet and loop a cable tie through those holes and under a link of the mesh. This should adequately position the carpet and stop it from moving around. You might like to do a couple in the central area to prevent any movement.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could cut sections of plywood to suit the shelves and ramp size and glue the carpet to them with contact cement. You're likely wondering if you could just use the contact adhesive to glue the carpet to the mesh, and you possibly could. Contact adhesive is proficient at sticking two flat surfaces together and is not really designed to glue carpet to mesh. However, it could possibly work and might be worth a try.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I’ll try the cable ties first — what would I do without cable ties, lol. 

I couldn’t fit the tunnel in my space. I bought this one instead

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rapidmesh-94-5-x-76-5-x-180cm-large-animal-enclosure_p0035777

and once it is all together I’ll work out how she will get from the cat door to the enclosure. Some sort of tunnel/ramp I expect — with lots of zip ties. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

That unit has a similar mesh, @jennig, so I'd recommend the same approach. Please let us know how you go, and reach out if you need further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects