Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How many sprinklers do I need?

hec5
Just Starting Out

How many sprinklers do I need?

Good morning I am trying to find out how many sprinklers I need to put in my lawn the size of the area that I have is 16m long x 8mtrs wide with nothing else no shed or corners 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: retic

Hello @hec5 

There have been some very good discussions regarding sprinkler systems. Just to give you a general idea, the distance between sprinklers will depend on the size of its throw radius. For example, if a pop-up sprinkler head has a throw radius of 3 meters the next sprinkler must be 3 meters away so that the edge of the spray touches the head of the next sprinkler. Keep in mind that the sprinklers can be controlled to spray in corners and single side if needed.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and safety goggles when setting up your sprinkler.

Here is a handy link to the Gardena sprinkler planner: Sprinklersystem planner.

Here are some handy discussions that will help you with your sprinkler set-up:

Let me call on our experienced members @Adam_W and @srobinson for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeTNZ
Amassing an Audience

Re: retic

Hi @hec5,@EricL,

That is quite a large lawn we're talking about here.

You could possibly do this with 2 lines run under the soil, 3 metres in from the border fencing and that should give you decent coverage.

I see that @EricL has given you some good advice and some links to check out.

If you can, hire a small excavator and make the trenches for this, yes it will wreck your lawn, but you only have to do this once.

Once all the pipework and sprinkler heads are in place, it is a distant memory.

One other thing, if you are going to go this far, you can automate the on and off times of the system, with possibly a solar powered controller

that will turn this on and off when the sun is not shining on your lawn to save burning the blades of grass during the day.

If you need further advice, by all means let us know, we are here to help.

Cheers,

Mike T.

jaiprak
Having an Impact

Re: How many sprinklers do I need?

I fully followed what’s in this guide except putting couple of more sprinklers than what the pressure would take. So I added another inlet in the middle (one from rain water tank and another from house water supply) and it works without a problem.

few things I would have done differently:

1. Chosen a 100mm pop up rather than 50mm since the grass grows with a week of mowing and I have to hand cut near the pop up for it to throw.

2. Putting another one in the center of lawn to get that dry spot also taken care of.

3. Leave additional lines (not for sprinkler but for something else) for future use.

few tips:

1. design to Max possible spec before starting. Accessories are cheaper when bought in higher quantities.

2. Use pipe clamp for future proofing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jaiprak 

Let me tag @hec5 to make sure they see your recommendation. Thank you very much for sharing your experience with the installation of sprinklers. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of your sprinklers while they are turned on? I'm sure our members would be keen to see how you positioned the sprinklers in your garden.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
jaiprak
Having an Impact

Mine was not a perfect rectangle. Roughly 60 m2. I placed 10 (marked in blue) of them. 4 along the front line, 2 each on the left and right side and 2 on the back. The corners were 90 deg spray and center ones were 180. (Ignore the greyed out plants in the picture).

6482772C-BFBA-4EA6-94AD-B447A64D9997.jpeg

srobinson
Growing in Experience

Good morning @hec5

There's a whole lot of great advice below!
It might be a bit Irrigation 101, but if it helps, a simple layout for your lawn could look something like the below and include two runs of a gear drive type sprinkler such as K-Rain K1 Gear Drive Sprinkler 

Hopefully that helps?

Sprinkler_Design_20220224.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects