Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How do I replace outdoor pool fencing rubber adhesive strip?

Bill1990
Just Starting Out

How do I replace outdoor pool fencing rubber adhesive strip?

Hi Bunnings workshop, I have a glass panel in a pool fence that has lost adhesion to a fence post and allowed it to sag, this is caused by weathering and the weight of the gate constantly swinging outwards. Please see the attached pictures:

Sagging:

PXL_20240406_040323836.jpg

PXL_20240406_040329740.jpg

How it looks pushed in (how it's supposed to look): 

PXL_20240406_040352512.jpg

A different fence post that's not sagging for completeness:

PXL_20240406_040448217.jpg

As far as my research has led me, most pool fences use glazing rubbers on both sides, however my fencing seems to use glazing rubber (non pictured side) and some kind of adhesive that has been weathered away (pictured side). I'm not sure what's the best step for fixing it back to the fence post, whether there's a specific adhesive rubber strip product that I haven't been able to find or just a job for some super glue.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I replace outdoor pool fencing rubber adhesive strip?

Hi @Bill1990,

Firstly, welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community.

I would start by saying that any work done with glass should be undertaken with extreme care as it is very easy to shatter. Ensure you have the correct personal protective equipment ie. gloves, eye protection, long sleeves, long pants, enclosed shoes.

The main concern would be that anything done to refix this glass panel into the fence post would be undone by the movement from the gate. As this is likely the root cause of the issue, you should check to see if the post that the gate is attached to is held in place adequately. If there is considerable movement in this post, you would need to find a way of bracing/fixing it in place, so the movement is minimised.  

Once you're happy that the gate post is sturdy, you should start by removing the old adhesive using a scraper such as the Craftright Safety Scraper Set. Once removed you should glue the panel into the fence post using a neutral cure silicone, such as Parfix 300g Clear All Purpose Silicone, ensuring that the glass panel is locked into place while the silicone cures.

If you are not confident in completing this work yourself, I recommend enlisting the services of a professional to do so for you.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects