Workshop
Ask a question

How do I build steps on a garden slope?

ArthurG
Just Starting Out

How do I build steps on a garden slope?

How do I build steps on a garden slope? Probably about 5-6 steps over a soil bank.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How do I build steps on a garden slope? Probably about 5-6 steps over a soil bank.

Hello @ArthurG 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about building steps in your garden.

Would it be possible for you to post a few photos of your garden area? This will give our members a chance to assess the area. We can then make suggestions on how to proceed.

Here are some fantastic garden step projects our Workshop members have shared:

If you need a hand posting the pictures, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How do I build steps on a garden slope? Probably about 5-6 steps over a soil bank.

Evening @ArthurG 

Will wait for some pics as well :smile:

But some things to consider.

The depth of the steps and how steep the slope is.

The height you may want of the steps. (having a step a different size to the rest can be an issue. My old steps had one and it was almost like a double step)

Test out a bunch of steps in your local area, down the park, beach, shopping center and take a tape measure (its what I will be doing) I have a set of steps I need to put in (will be a gabion style base so thats going to be interesting with a timber tread top) I also have to make up a temporary staircase/steps so my way of thinking is the hard work is done allready, I just need to copy :smile:

Dave

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How do I build steps on a garden slope?

Hi @ArthurG,

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. 

As per the other replies you have received, please let me know if you need a hand uploading some photos of your garden.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects