Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can i repaint powder-coated chairs?

Suziefarley
Just Starting Out

How can i repaint powder-coated chairs?

I have rescued some powder coated folding chairs but they are a bit grubby, I have scrubbed away most of the rust, but they are a cream colour and still look a tatty.

What kind of paint can I use over powdercoat? 

IMG_20230323_121344.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How can i repaint powder-coated chairs?

Hi @Suziefarley 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting your powder coated chair.

Powder coated steel often has a very tough shiny surface. It's important that you sand every hidden part of this chair if you are planning to paint it. Once you've finished sanding, I suggest wiping it down with a damp rag to remove all the dust and paint powder that has settled on its frame.

I propose using Dulux 300g Metalshield Etch Primer Spraypak Light Grey to prime the surface of the steel frame. Please make sure that the primer has fully cured before you put the topcoat on. In regards to the topcoat, I recommend using a metal spray paint of your preferred colour.

Please be aware that if part of this chair is plastic to use plastic rated spray paint and primer.

For maximum protection, I recommend spraying two coats of clear coat to protect the paint surface.

Please make sure to spray in a well-ventilated space and away from any objects that you don't want covered in overspray. Plese make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a paint mask when spray painting your chair.

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your freshly painted chair.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects