Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I tidy narrow side of house?

fungry_04
Finding My Feet

How can I tidy narrow side of house?

20231101_144612.jpg

I hate the rocks and want to remove them but the weeds grow under the fence from the block next door. How can I clean up this space? I'd also like to maybe grow some veggies down here, throw all your ideas at me!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How can I tidy narrow side of house?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @fungry_04. We're truly delighted to have you join us and trust you'll find our site a wonderful resource for creative D.I.Y. ideas and useful advice.

Your question couldn't have come at a better time. We have just shared the Top 10 most popular side yard projects on Workshop. I recommend checking out this list for inspiring ideas on what you can do with your narrow sideway. 

I'm sure our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will also be able to provide some suggestions when he's back online later today. Let me also tag our ever-helpful members @redbournreno@2Belindas@diy_hausdesigns and @Dave-1 too in case they have any thoughts.

I'm excited to see how you manage to transform the side of your house. Please do keep us updated your project progresses.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @fungry_04 Wel to the Workshop and I know many of us have that same problem spot !!! 
Can I ask how much sun , shade do you have there ? 
You could have narrow raised Garden beds / planters to grow some edible plants. 
Keep in contact and let us know so we can help 😃🪴

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community @fungry_04.

Like @mich1972, I think some raised garden beds would be fantastic. You should get inspiration from the Top 10 most popular raised garden beds shared by Workshop members. 

Jason

It gets alot of morning sun untill about midday then shade, and hardly any wind thankfully! I have these  veggies currently growing but they are also a bit of an eye sore 😅

16988869245607188620400822628873.jpg

Nope , definitely NOT !!! It’s a working garden so that’s brilliant !! 
Now morning sun and afternoon shade is good too , especially going into the hotter months. Have a read of the stories about raised beds 🪴🪴

You could put narrow colour bond raised beds in there. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @fungry_04 

Welcome to the page! :smile: So many ideas come to mind and I know there are plenty of people with similar wants as yours!

First idea - remove the two rows of pavers next to the fence, use 200 x 50mm 3.6m treated pine sleeper h4 to frame out a garden bed 4 sides. It will stop the weeds coming in under the fence as well as protect it from the dirt of the garden bed. Id grow parsley, tomatoes and maybe beans.

Second idea - You could go the rought of aquaponics in PVC piping and mount the pipe to the side of the fence (on the posts) There are a few people in here with very informative projects @Prof comes to mind straight up. You could grow lettuce and other leafy greens for sure.

dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @fungry_04 

It's great that you've received excellent suggestions from our members. I suggest covering the pebbled area with weedmat and pinning it down to prevent movement. I recommend having a quick look at this discussion - Vertical garden and Merbau planter boxes by @BrendanB.

This is an excellent way to use all the available space on the side of your house. Plus, you get to plant all sorts of vegetables.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects