Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Help me choose the right tool

IDCSAO
Just Starting Out

Help me choose the right tool

I need an adjustable rod or stick to keep something in tension too keep it glued the problem is I do not know what the tool is called, I've tried searching for it

So I trying to stick two pieces of wood together but one piece is on the ceiling on an angle and I would like something to hold it up there with tension to make sure there is no air gaps what tool am I looking for

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Help me choose the right tool

Hello @IDCSAO

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about choosing the right tool. 

The only tool that comes to mind is the Gorilla 1.98-3.35m Galvanised Formwork Prop #2. However, I'm not sure if it will work on an angle, but if you were to set up its footing to keep it from sliding, it should work even if installed on an angle. Your other option is to build a timber prop that will push onto the piece you're trying to keep in place. Another way to do it is to strap the piece in place, although this will require that you drill into the wall to create mounts or make a hole in the wall for the strapping to go through.

Your project sounds very interesting. Would it be possible for you to tell us what you're building? A photo of the project will also help our members assess what you're trying to keep in place. We can then make more recommendations on how to proceed.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Evening @IDCSAO

"I've tried searching for it"

Try Googling "Extension Support Rod."

One product you may see is this one. Supports 60 kg up to a 45 degree angle.

Only problem is they're never in store when you actually need them.

20221221_175152.jpg

20221221_175358.jpg

And please, as Eric said - show us what you're up to. 😁

Cheers.

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @IDCSAO , without being able to picture accurately what the outcome you are looking for is....

when we had our sagging ceilings restrapped, the ceiling guy used three strips of timber to push the ceiling back up while he restrapped it.

The arrangement was:

one piece (smaller) went across the area that needed pushing up and two longer pieces then came from the floor, at an angle, (actually two angles, such that they joined at the top, to form a triangle ). These two pushed up on the strip on the ceiling.

To hold them there at the correct tension he just ran some rope a few times around the 2 two angled pieces and then twisted that with a stick to make them come closer together.  (The stick was then angled to jam against one the side pieces so the rope wouldn't unwind again.)

He sat the two bottoms on some mats that he had, to stop them slipping and from scratching the floor. (Ours are timber floors.)

Once under tension it all stayed in place.  (He used his ladder as a support to hold the timbers in place while he set it all up.)

Very simple, cheap and clever I thought.

Maybe something like that could be used to hold up whatever it is that you need to hold up??

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects