Workshop
Ask a question

Need advice and inspiration for front garden makeover

Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Need advice and inspiration for front garden makeover

Hello friends,

I'm after a little advice/inspiration for my mum's garden. We're in Adelaide, if that helps. I'm wondering:

- what type of mulch/ground cover would be best?
- any point in getting rid of all of the white stones (of which there used to be much more), or just leave them to be covered up?
- do I need to do any kind of "tilling" or soil preparation before I add bark/ mulch?
- is weed mat a thing? I'm still pulling up black plastic from 50 years ago that was disintegrating, so I'm not so sure it's wise...

My plan is to add several bigger bush/tree species toward the road, then scale the size back, before having some native flowers and smaller plants closer to the house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If the images look a little weird, I've just crudely removed some distinct features of the neighbourhood.

20240510_155301~2.jpg20240510_155312~2.jpg20240510_155320.jpg20240510_155330.jpg20240510_155342~2.jpg20240510_155409~2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Front garden advice

Hello @Sebastian90 

Thank you for sharing your question about your mum's front garden.

There are a number of ways to revamp the front garden, but first, can you please tell us how much area do you want the mulch/ground cover to occupy? Do you have a specific shape as to how the ground cover will look? 

Tilling or aerating would only be necessary if it were near plants. Using weed mat is necessary if you wish to prevent the weeds from growing between your ground cover. I can see that there is a natural slope going towards your mum's house, does it create a water problem when there is a deluge? 

Any other information that you think we should know about your garden would be very much appreciated.

As soon as you provide the information needed, we'll then be able to offer recommendations.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Sebastian90
Growing in Experience

Hi Eric,

I am thinking enough mulch to cover the sloped area completely (around 80m2), less space for added plants (probably around 15-20 plants to be added).

Regarding the shape of the ground cover, could you clarify what shape you are referring to?

I was going to put in a drainage channel at the foot of the slope that leads to the road.

Thank you!

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Sebastian90,

My colleague @EricL is not back online for a few days so I might jump in to assist.

I believe Eric's intention in asking about the shape of the ground cover was to get an idea of the specific area within your photos that you are planning on developing. Based on what you've said, I believe the below is where you are planning on having this garden.

Did you have any plans to do any landscaping or create any garden edges? I think some basic landscaping such as a one sleeper high retaining wall at the bottom of the slope. If you were, you might like to have a read of How To Design a Garden for a bit of guidance. 

I'd suggest that tilling the soil would be helpful as well as applying a slow-release fertiliser once tilled such as Scotts Osmocote 1kg All Purpose Controlled Release Fertiliser. This will help to add nutrients to the soil that will promote good plant growth.

The plants you select should be relevant to your climate and location, you might like to have a look through How to choose plants for your garden for some guidance. Native plants are always a great choice as they contribute to a healthy ecosystem, attract bees who will help to cross pollinate and, in my opinion, look fantastic.

The drainage at the base of the hill is also a great idea and makes me think whether you have considered adding some irrigation lines to automate the watering of the new garden? If this is something you'd consider, you might like to check out Installing Irrigation Sprayers And Drippers for some guidance.

Allow me to tag some helpful members for their thoughts @Noelle, @Noyade, @mich1972.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects