Workshop
Ask a question

How to build a courtyard deck?

SparkyStu
Finding My Feet

How to build a courtyard deck?

Hi, I'm looking at designing/building an outdoor deck in my courtyard. Can you please help me design it correctly with the correct materials?

It is to go level with the left window sill to have it as high as possible for access from the house sliding door

I have attached what I have considered so far...

Cheers,

Stuart

1000003543.jpg

1000003542.jpg

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Courtyard Deck

Hi @SparkyStu,

The stirrups are great because they get the post up away from the concrete so there's clearance for water to drain. Coating posts with bitumen-based sealer can be effective at keeping water out but having the timber clear of the ground and thus clear of the water, is far better for this.

If the foundations stick out quite a distance, there are bolt down stirrups such as Pryda Post Anchor Bolt Down w Washer 90mm which could be used on the existing concrete. The concern with bolting to the brick is that the deck is susceptible to "uplift" which is the force created when the wind gets underneath it and a lifting force is applied in a similar way to the sail of a ship. The brick wall is not designed to withstand forces pulling on it, it is designed to support dead loads from above. For this reason, I would avoid bolting to the brick. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jacob

This has been very helpful! Thanks guys. My only other questions would be about how to work around the downpipe in regards to stirrup/post and then also what fixings you'd recommend using for fixing stirrups to posts, posts to bearers, bearers to joists, etc. assuming you recommend joist hangers as well.

Thanks heaps for your advice! Looking forward to the project 

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @SparkyStu,

The downpipe will need to remain in place, so you will need to bring the main bearer back from the wall and laminate some blocks to the wall side of the bearer. See the below image as an example of what you could do.

It may be a good idea to have a discharge pipe installed to route the water elsewhere while the area is still accessible. Limiting the amount of water discharged underneath the deck will help to prevent any rot to the timber.

For the post to stirrup connection, you should use a nut and bolt with washers, I believe most of the stirrups allow for an M12 bolt such as these Zenith M12 x 120mm Hot Dipped Galvanised Hex Head Bolts And Nut.

For the bearer to post connections, you should use bugle head batten screws of a suitable size such as these ZENITH 14G - 8 x 75mm Class 3 Galvanised Bugle Batten Screws

You should then use Pryda Timber Connector Screw 12G x 35mm to connect your joist hangers and joists to your bearers. These screws are specifically designed for use with hangers and connectors.

This should give you a good start, but with every deck I've built, you always run into a bit of a puzzle somewhere. If that happens, don't hesitate to reach out, there's a wealth of knowledge on Bunnings Workshop that can be used to assist.

I'm very excited to see you get started.

Jacob

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects