Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can you lay tiles over pebblecrete pool coping?

rochester
Getting Established

Can you lay tiles over pebblecrete pool coping?

Hi all. 

I’ve got a pool that has pebblecrete around the outside as coping. I was thinking about installing travertine coping tiles on top of the pebblecrete - it looks in good condition, no cracks or sign of damage - I had a tradesperson in recently to do work on pavers elsewhere on the property, he says they should be fine going straight on top of them. 

I’m hoping to get an idea of what adhesive to use to secure the new tiles on top of the pebblecrete. The current coping is a bit all over the place so it’s likely that I’ll have to level it off first - I've attached an image of the coping. 

Thanks!

B178811F-6CFB-4E82-8A75-9A01DD421893.png

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Pebblecrete pool coping

Hello @rochester 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about swimming pool copping.

One of the issues of pebblecrete is that you never know when it will give way. Pebblecrete develops small micro fractures on its surface which allows water to slowly travel underneath its substrate. It then slowly degrades the concrete and the pebblecrete comes apart. 

I suggest removing the pebblecrete and filling the gap with concrete before you put on the travertine tiles. However, if you wish to take a gamble on the longevity of the pebblecrete, I recommend using Davco 20kg SMP Evo Tile Adhesive. It has a very high bond strength and is suitable for swimming pools. This product will work effectively with or without the pebblecrete.

Please make sure to wear proper protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask while working on your pool coping. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MeganCooper
Growing in Experience

My builder is actually removing the pebblecrete with a Dimond blade saw. He seems to think that’s necessary. I’ve not asked him why but I will … and let you know. I think you need to get bs k to the concrete to gain a proper grip plus the pebblecrete can lift its layer  in sheets … in places on the edge mine has lifted … 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

HI @MeganCooper 

Let me tag @rochester to make them aware of your suggestions. What kind of pool coping will you be putting on? Please make sure to post an update, I'm sure our members will be keen to see what your new pool coping looks like.

Eric

MeganCooper
Growing in Experience

Porcelain pavers

rochester
Getting Established

Thanks Eric & Megan for the replies, much appreciated. 

Upon your suggestions I’ve decided to remove the pebblecrete. I started 20 mins ago with a tiny chisel & have already lifted off around 6m.. obviously not in good shape, looks can be deceiving!

Thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @rochester 

It's great to hear that you've decided to remove the pebblecrete. I believe that starting with solid foundation is for the best. You can just imagine what would have happened if you had tiled over the pebblecrete gambling on its strength. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing your new tiles installed near your pool.

Eric

👋🏻 keep in mind ..  my builder said he will use a circular saw to cut a sharp line above the tiles do removing the pebblecrete will not pop off any of the tiles. 

Megan 

rochester
Getting Established

Thanks all. Ended up using the Davco adhesive for the coping & mortar for the rest - Had to make the mixture slightly thicker than manufacturers guidelines due to the weight of the tiles but it seems to being going well. Used the travertine tiles from my local Bunnings. Pics attached. Thanks againpool1.jpegpool2.jpeg

That looks sensational, @rochester! Did you do all that tiling work yourself? You've really transformed this pool entirely, and I am so pleased that you've been able to achieve this result; it looks so much better now that Pebblecrete is gone.

Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results with us!

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects