Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I build a BBQ into this area?

awin1
Finding My Feet

Can I build a BBQ into this area?

Hello

Tagging @EricL as I've seen you tagged as the expert in this area on other threads :smile:

I'm wondering if it is feasible to build a built-in-BBQ into this area marked with red dotted line.

The whole width of that area is 450cm

The height from ground to seating is 44cm

The screen height is 155cm

The depth of the seat is 56cm

I'm planning to replace the existing screen with an aluminium screen

The base of the seating is brick with render

The questions I have are:

1. Can the gas port (currently behind where BBQ currently located) be relocated, noting the sliding door in between?

2. Is the existing base of the seating appropriate to be raised with more brickwork, to form the base for a built-in-bbq?

3. Is the downpipe an issue?

At this stage, this is an idea I had when thinking about replacing the screening. Not sure how feasible it is. Appreciate your thoughts/ideas. thank you.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 110618.jpg

IMG-1239.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Can I build a BBQ into this area?

Hello @awin1

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building a BBQ area.

Before moving the gas port I suggest drawing up a plan in detail where the gas barbeque is going to be located. Will you be putting cabinets beside the barbeque cooker? Perhaps a small gazebo cover? Once you've finalized your plans you can then ask a registered gas fitter for a quote to move your gas outlet to the new proposed position. 

I suggest moving the proposed position of the barbeque to the centre instead of the left-hand side. This will provide you with space just in case you need to service the drains in the future. It also looks visually balanced if the barbeque is in the centre. On the condition that the bricks had a proper base built you should be able to add more bricks to reach the height that you need. Will you be removing the legs of your current barbeque and using that unit on the brick stand?

My only other reminder is to measure your barbeque cooker with the cover open so that you'll know that you have enough depth when building the brick base for it. Can also you please tell me which aluminium screen you'll be using to cover the Colorbond fence? 

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Barbecue stands and bench ideas

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
awin1
Finding My Feet

Thank you @EricL 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @awin1 

This would be a good time to explore the design possibilities of your proposed barbecue area. I've drawn up a sample sketch below, please have a look and tell me what you think. If you would like to see it in another configuration, please let me know.

Eric

awin1 bbq1.jpgawin1 bbq2.jpgawin1 bbq3.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects