Workshop
Ask a question

How to fix brown spots on Buffalo grass?

ksnate
Just Starting Out

How to fix brown spots on Buffalo grass?

Hi all,

I am having significant issues with brown spots on my lawn (buffalo grass) - picture attached. 87B0B945-DBBF-4254-AE8A-EE48F97AC6F2_1_102_o.jpeg

I have a dog and it has been suggested it could be due to her weeing on the grass however they seem like rather large spots for this.

Two questions:

1) Any thoughts on what the underlying cause is?

2) I plan to buy some buffalo turf to extend the grass, is it worth patching these spots at the same time or could I encourage the existing grass to spread over? 

Thanks in advance!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Brown spots on grass

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @ksnate. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about brown spots on a lawn.

If this is the only space your dog uses for the toilet then it's quite likely that this is damage has occurred from that. The effected is probably from urinating on the same spot on several occasions, not just from one incident. However, it could also be a curl grub or fungus issue. 

You could try to encourage the Buffalo back into those areas or even replace it, but the underlying reason for the die-back needs to be addressed. Some of the areas look quite hard and compacted, so you might like to aerate and topdress them. Here's a helpful step-by-step guide: How to aerate and topdress your lawn.

Whilst you try to resolve the issue, you might like to attempt to have your dog use a synthetic turf trainer to help remove the stress on the lawn.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects