Workshop
Ask a question

Backyard makeover with Ekodeck and spray painted fence

cassieandrews
Building a Reputation

Backyard makeover with Ekodeck and spray painted fence

After the previous owners of our house subdivided the block, our backyard was left unfinished.

Together my partner and I set out to transform the backyard into an inviting and relaxing space that would bring us so much joy.

Materials

Ekodeck

Stilla Wooden Shed

Turf

Trees & Plants

Grout and recycled bricks

Reticultion

Soakwells

Raised corten steel garden edging

Tools

Steps

Step 1

Full clear out, level yard and dismantle old colorbond shed 

IMG_7706.jpeg

Step 2

Install soakwells and retic

IMG_7960.jpeg

Step 3

Spray paint fence and paint house

IMG_8478.jpeg

Step 4

Cover old brown 70s brick garden bed with recycled bricks and grout

IMG_8707.jpeg

Step 5

Install wooden shed

IMG_8799.jpeg

Step 6

Pave side of house with recycled bricks and paint side of house

IMG_0019.jpeg

Step 7

Install Ekodeck

IMG_9684.jpeg

Step 8

Install raised Corten steel garden bed

IMG_9792.jpeg

Step 9

Roll buffalo turf

IMG_9996.jpeg

Step 10

Add plants, furniture, watch it grow and enjoy!

Facetune_02-07-2023-17-14-50.jpeg

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: Backyard Makeover

Hi @cassieandrews ,

Welcome to the community!  And what a first post!  Well done, that's an amazing transformation!  You've converted something that was unappealing to something that is a welcoming retreat.  I love ekodeck too, what made you pick that over the other traditional decking options?  (Merbau, pine etc)
Mine was not having to oil it every year like traditional decking!

Cheers

Marty

Re: Backyard Makeover

Hi Marty

Thanks so much for the kind words.

I’m the same as you. Love the low maintenance and not having to think about re oiling!

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Backyard makeover with Ekodeck and spray painted fence

Hi @cassieandrews,

Totally agree with @Marty_greenshed - it's such a wonderful transformation. You've created a relaxing and stylish retreat that I'm sure you'll enjoy for years to come. What were your biggest learnings from this project? Anything you would have done differently?

This would make a great entry into our D.I.Y. July project search, so I've gone ahead and entered it for you.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to our community. It's a pleasure having you join us, and I can't wait to see what project you tackle next.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@cassieandrews 

Now that is a decent differerence! It looks great and I love the reuse of the bricks especially. The painting of the colourbond fence brings it all together. Was it easy to paint (I have a lovely blue painted colourbond fence to redo) I also really like the pathway down the side of the house. Love reusing resources!

Dave

JoeAzza
Kind of a Big Deal

@cassieandrews  Congratulations on your DIY July entry, the finished project looks fantastic, it must have been back breaking work, this is perfect new back yard. The key word is low maintenance, my kind of backyard/garden.

Hi Akanksha

Thank you so much, am glad to have an entry into the DIY July project search!

I would say for us that the biggest learning when taking on a project yourself is when it’s feeling impossible or hard, the end result is so worth it! All in all we wouldn’t change a thing!

mich1972
Kind of a Big Deal

Good morning @cassieandrews Sending you a warm welcome to the Workshop Community 😊 Your backyard is unrecognisable after all the hard work you put into it. Far out, I love it. 😍 You and your partner will never be inside the house !!! It’s so great to be outside. You know what I love about it, the old bricks for the paving and wall. I LOVE the use of old bricks. 

Tyro
Becoming a Leader

What a winning team @cassieandrews and partner!  How long did it take? Just painting the fence make such a difference!  I bet your back-breaking work has put another two 00's on the value of your place too!   Your neighbours will be jealous especially when you're out there toasting the sinking sun!  

Bravo to you both!

Cheers 🥂

cassieandrews
Building a Reputation

Thanks Tyro!

All up I recon this took us about 8 months with us slowly chipping away at it over the weekends!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects