Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Animal enclosure ideas wanted

Narla
Building a Reputation

Animal enclosure ideas wanted

IMG_2945.jpeg

IMG_2944.jpeg

Morning everyone. I’m looking at making a small outdoor enclosure that my cat and dog can use. I have an indoor cat so need something that allows my dog to get out through her dog door and do her business when I’m not home, without worrying about the cat escaping! I’m thinking it will sit along the bottom window and be the same length and width of grass (see pic) and match the height of the bottom windows. It needs to be accessible to be able to clean and I also want another opening so dog can access the rest of the yard when cat is locked in a different area of house so thinking of having the side near paving be able to be raised when needed. I’m on a budget so looking at a wood and wire combo but would love to hear any other suggestions, please. I’ve attached a pic of the space ( including our very small temporary cage) and a photo of a pre-made hutch that I’m using as a visual of what I’m thinking. Thanks so much:)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Animal enclosure ideas wanted

Hello @Narla 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about building an animal enclosure.

I suggest having a quick look at this discussion - Catio and catwalk - My first major DIY by @Kenzi. This is an excellent example of an animal enclosure that uses wire and some pieces of timber. There is also an option of building a much larger enclosure using Jack 20 x 20mm 900mm x 10m Supa-Net just like in this discussion - Cat enclosure by @Chrissie35

One other option is to use RapidMesh 122 x 106 x 73.5cm Cat Enclosure With Tunnel. However, if you are after a custom-built enclosure, I suggest using 70 x 35mm Framing MGP10 Untreated Pine 2.4m in combination with Saxon 90cm x 3 x 0.7mm x 5m Animal Wire Netting

Would it be possible for you to post the measurements of the window including the space to the left and right of the window. This will allow me to sketch up a sample frame for you with the specifications you're after.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Narla
Building a Reputation

Hi @EricL  thank you very much for your reply. It’s really helpful:) Here is a pic with measurements I’m thinking of. So it will be the same height as dog door (73cm), length from dog door to brick (300cm) and width of grass (77cm) Thanks again

IMG_0219.jpeg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Narla 

Thank you so much for your patience and for posting the measurements of the area. I've sketched up a sample frame below using 70x35 framing timber. This will give you a much better idea of how the frame can be put together. The pet mesh can then be stappled to the frame to prevent your pets from getting out. 

Please keep in mind that when you push the frame to the window there will be a gap at the back as the actual window frame is set inside the window opening. To cover this gap, I suggest using another piece of 70x35 and screwing it on top of the frame to close off any avenue of escape.

In regards to the pet door, you can use the same material and size it to at least half the width of the opening to allow the dog to pass through unhindered. Please keep in mind the measurements are for reference only, make sure to adjust them to your needs.

My only other tip is to use Jack 12mm x 450mm Galvanised Tent Peg. To prevent the cage from moving and being accidentally pushed out of alignment.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when assembling your pet enclosure.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.  

Eric

Narla
Building a Reputation

This is amazing @EricL ! Thank you so very much for going to all this effort. Between the breakdown of measurements and your product suggestions you have made it so much more manageable and accurate! ( I’m terrible at measuring.. you must have known! Lol

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Narla 

I also recommend using Zenith 10 - 8 x 75mm Galvanised Countersunk Rib Head Timber Screws to join the timber together. Please remember to drill pilot holes in the timber to prevent breaking the screw heads off. 

Please keep us updated with your progress, we look forward to seeing the start of your animal enclosure project.

Eric

Narla
Building a Reputation

Thanks @EricL  I will be sure to update with progress!:)

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects