Workshop
Ask a question

Options for raised tiled backyard entertainment area?

AshY
Getting Established

Options for raised tiled backyard entertainment area?

Hi all,

I'm looking at doing a full renovation / landscaping my backyard shortly. 

I've got 30m2 of area (under a patio) that I want to raise to the level of my house slab (90 - 100mm). Currently there are pavers (uneven).

I've got a few options

1. Build a frame and load it up with a concrete slab, then tile it

2. Build a frame, lay down cement sheeting, then Tile it

Anyone used Sycon Secura? is it expensive compared to cement sheeting?

3. Pedestal System  Buzon - Adjustable discs that fit 20mm Porcelain pavers/tiles. Keeping the old pavers as a base.

Anyone used this? http://www.pedestalsystem.com.au/

Cheers,

Ash

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Raised Tiled backyard entertainment area - what options?

@AshY,

Is there a reason why the pavers are uneven? Tree roots for example?

And is drainage going to be an issue? 

Yonnee
Having an Impact

When we were planning our Pergola & Deck, we were originally going to use timber decking, but halfway throught the project we had the bright idea of tiling it instead. The drama then was that the deck framing had already been laid down dead flat. But as with any outdoor hard surface, you need some sort of drainage fall (rain doesn't always come straight down...).

My solution was to first lay down Green Tongue flooring (treated pine version of Yellow Tongue) over 2/3 of the deck that would rarely get wet, then lay black plastic, topped with varying thicknesses of cement sheet, 9mm cement sheet, 7mm bluboard, 6mm tile underlay, 4mm cement sheet to give some sort of fall for water run-off. The very outside perimeter was laid with 19mm cement sheet straight on the joists.

If I were to do it over again, I would lay a concrete slab first, no ifs or buts.

Yonnee
Having an Impact

Halfway through the build...

Pergola build 01.jpg

Yonnee
Having an Impact

Roof on (unseen), Green Tongue going down...

Pergola build 02.jpg

Yonnee
Having an Impact

Halway through tiling (still not completely finished... but I don't have a current pic.)

There's a bit more to this deck than you can see here, there is one row of tiles around the perimeter, then there's one row deleted which is filled in with Spotted Gum decking boards.

As I stated in my first post, if I were to do it again, I would concrete a slab to lay the tiles on and give it a slight fall away from the house for run-off. But so far, it's been nearly 7 years since this photo and there's no signs of any issues...

Pergola build 03.jpg

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@Yonnee

Can I ask why you went for tiles rather than a timber deck?

AshY
Getting Established

@Yonnee thanks for the info and pictures - the outdoor area looks great.

I'm thinking of going conrete slab with fall away from the house, then tiling it. I've spoken to a few people and it seems the way to go - rather than a frame.

I'm also going to run a channel between the slab and the concrete slab so that I can run water / cabling to my outdoor kitchen.

Yonnee
Having an Impact

@Kermit

You know, I sometimes ask myself the same question... LOL

Neither my wife & I are "continual maintenance" people, so I was looking for options other than cleaning and re-oiling every 6 months.

Plus, I tend to like going the "something different" route. Every Thomas, Richard and Harold has got decking... Mine's a talking point. :smile:

@AshY

Thanks mate. :laugh:

Yeah, if I did mine again, I would pour a slab. 

Having said that though, originally the deck went under the window at the end as well, but part way through I changed my mind and wanted to place a water feature under that window, so I was able to remove some of the joists... something a little more difficult with a concrete slab. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @AshY,

I understand you've finished the entertainment area. Be great to see some photos.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects