Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What primer to paint over wallpaper?

Jasmine275
Just Starting Out

What primer to paint over wallpaper?

image.jpg

Has wallpaper on the wall, need recommendation on the type of primer to use and the type of paint.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: What primer to paint over wallpaper?

Hello @Jasmine275 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about painting wallpaper.

It is possible to paint over wallpaper, however, one of the main issues is that it is difficult to tell if the wallpaper is still in good condition. Are there parts that are tearing away? Are the corners turning brittle due to excessive old wallpaper adhesive? Is the overall condition of the wallpaper strong enough to be painted on? These are some of the questions you'll need to consider if you are planning on painting over the wallpaper.

If the wallpaper is in good condition, I suggest wiping the surface with a barely damp cloth to remove any dust or debris on the surface. Repair any gaps using a multipurpose filler and gluing up any loose parts.  I recommend using Dulux 4L PRECISION Sealer Binder White. Using an oil-based primer is preferable than using a water-based primer as it sometimes reacts with the paper surface causing bubbles. 

Once the primer is totally dry you can use any topcoat you desire either oil or water-based paint. Just keep in mind that the primer must be totally cured before you start applying your topcoat.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

Let me call on our experienced members @Peggers@lifestylebymari  and @craftyhopper.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What primer to paint over wallpaper?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community @Jasmine275. We trust you'll get plenty of help and inspiration from our wonderful members.

Can you please tell us how much wallpaper you have? Have you had a go at removing it? I would suggest you'll get much better results by removing before painting. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects