Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What paint should i use around a fireplace?

sandii72
Finding My Feet

What paint should i use around a fireplace?

Hi, I have a fireplace with a Canara and i would like to paint around it so it stands out on a big wall.  What paint would you recommend and should i put like a slight render down first to smooth out the bricks or no?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What paint should i use around a fireplace?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @sandii72. I trust you'll get loads of help and inspiration for all your projects around the house and garden.

Could we please trouble you for some photos of your fireplace area so we can see what you are working with? I take it you would like to paint brickwork? How close is it to the fireplace?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hey Jason

Yes I want to paint the brick work around the Conara and maybe the brick step at the bottom.

0c60b5a7-1789-4203-9c33-22dd6af848ca.jpg

Preview attachment 20240402_115220.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @sandii72 

I've done an extensive search. I'm sorry but I'm unaware of any paint that have the qualities required for heat resistance. There are strict rules governing materials that can be used for hearths and fireplace surrounding, that's why you see brick, stone and tiles most commonly used. I suggest reaching out to the fireplace manufacturer as they would be the best source of information on the hearth requirements for your fireplace.

If tiling that area is something you'd consider, I'd be more than happy to reach out to our suppliers to discuss whether some suitably heat-resistant options are available. 

Let me call on our experienced members @Dave-1, @Nailbag and @Jewelleryrescue for their recommendations.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Morning @sandii72 

Love the fireplace, and yeah like @EricL I really dont know of a paint that would handle the long term heat comming from it.

You could colour a light render potentially? I have not rendered anything yet :smile: but that would surely cover your bricks and be resistant to heat (not sure about cracking tho) 

Dave

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @sandii72 as with the other boys comments, there isn't a range of high-temp paint available to the best of my knowledge that isn't black like this one.

Rendering may not be suitable either around the closest areas due to heat cracking the material. Tiling over the brick such as what I have done in the photos below to modernise the fireplace. It would build out the brick surface by around 20mm so, ideally you wouldn't want to cut the tiles around the outer face of the heater, but instead if it can be pulled out say 30mm to lay the tiles then pushed back to meet them flush.

Regards Nailbag

IMG_9266.JPGIMG_9297.JPGLongeroom_3.png

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Seriously @Nailbag  :surprised: 

That is beautiful! hahah I look at stuff I have done and then you show us what you have done... :surprised: Ten steps up! And that would be a very nice solution for sure!

Dave

Thanks mate. A LOT of work went in to that project!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects