Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What flyscreen lets in more light?

jm0227
Finding My Feet

What flyscreen lets in more light?

FS1.jpgFS2.jpgFS3.jpgWe've turned a bedroom in to an office.  It has a Juliet balcony that faces south.  The current flyscreen on the balcony door lets in very little light.  What is the best flyscreen to let in lots of light?  I'm in Sydney's Inner West so not coastal.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What flyscreen lets in more light?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @jm0227. We're pleased to have you join us and trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from our community members.

My immediate thought about your question is to wonder whether you actually have a door with tough security mesh rather than flyscreen. Could we please trouble you for some photos of the door so we can see what you are working with and suggest the best next steps? Please let us know if you need a hand uploading some images.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks.  Hope the added photos help.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great, thanks @jm0227

Let me tag our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL for his thoughts and product recommendations. 

Jason

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @jm0227 

That looks like an aluminium fly screen mesh. I have just used it on my screen door and I chose the aluminum one as it helps stop embers from melting the plastic version.

Theres a firbreglass version that is stronger then the straight plastic one. 

If I had to offer a suggestion of which one to let in most light id probarly suggest the plastic one followed by the fibreglass one as they are finer then the aluminium one.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @jm0227 

My apologies for the late reply. It's great that you've received excellent advice from @Dave-1. I believe the thickest one in the set is the pet mesh screen. If you see this printed in front of the packet this will let the least amount of light in. The Syneco 1220mm x 2.05m Fibreglass Insect Screen is the one I have installed in my home, and it lets a lot of light in.

However, I suggest going to your local store and having a look at the flyscreen display board. There you'll see all the various flyscreens on show. You'll be able to tell which one is the thinnest based on your ability to see through it. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects