Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Upcycled TV unit for under $100

felsteadhayley
Finding My Feet

Upcycled TV unit for under $100

Needing a new TV unit but not having the budget I found the unit on marketplace for free, sanded it back to get rid of the gloss, I used leftover dulux paint from our guest room and tassie oak half dowel on the draws. Originally I was going to use the dowel the whole length of the unit but fell in love with the abstract details, the earthy tones blend well with our home.

Steps

Step 1

Removed all doors and draw fronts

20230617_160921.jpg

20230618_154852.jpg

Step 2

Sanded the top of the unit and all the doors to remove gloss

Step 3

Glued the MDF to the top of the unit for extra height

Step 4

Painted the top and the doors 2 coats

20230618_181825.jpg

Step 5

Cut the dowel to correct size

Step 6

Glued with liquid nails to draw fronts

20230624_100002.jpg

Step 7

Re attached all cupboard doors and draws

20230703_182627.jpg

Marty_greenshed
Having an Impact

Re: upcycled TV unit for under $100!

Wow @felsteadhayley ,  That looks absolutely awesome!  Well done!  The colour scheme really goes well together with the floor and tv unit.

Congrats

Marty

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: upcycled TV unit for under $100!

Hello @felsteadhayley 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your upcycled TV cabinet project.

That Dulux green colour really catches the eye, can you please tell us the name of the colour you used? The timber dowels that you've placed on the doors provide just the right amount of contrast to the overall green colour. Those doors are a real delight, it was only when I had a second look that I realized that the doors were cut on an angle.

Again, thank you for sharing such a fantastic project.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Upcycled TV unit for under $100

Congratulations on this project, @felsteadhayley. Your stylish and functional TV unit is testament to the power of upcycling. Love your choice of paint colour.

This would make a great entry into our D.I.Y. July project search, so I've gone ahead and entered it for you.

Let me also extend a warm welcome to our community. Look forward to seeing what project you tackle next.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Upcycled TV unit for under $100

Good Afternoon @felsteadhayley 

Seriously good enough to be bought is the level of how it looks! I like the colouring and the pattern on the doors, I am glad you didnt go with your first thought of the half dowel all the way across, those lines on the door really make it shine. For someone who likes or use to like shiny white furniture this has opened my eyes. 

You placed MDF on the top and was just scrolling through looking at the photos again. It certainly gives it a lot more solid presence with it.

Nice work

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects