Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Storage solutions wanted for spare room

diydiva
Finding My Feet

Storage solutions wanted for spare room

Hi you lovely people,

I have been trying to wreck my brain on how to utilise an area in my apartment for storage.The space is a loft bedroom/spare room.As it has a pitch celling on either side its difficult to decide what to do being on a budget ( who isn't these days).My idea is to be able to store large (30-50 LTR ) plastic boxes behind closed doors as this room can sometimes be used as an overnight stay occasionally and also have maybe a little desk area incorporated.The height I have along the wall is about 800-900mm max.I have thought about kitchen cabinets but then I get carried away and it becomes expensive.Anybody got any ideas that I could work with? 

All ideas welcome.

DiyDiva.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Storage solutions

Hello @diydiva

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's marvellous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about storage solutions.

In order to give our members a better idea of the space you are working with, would it be possible for you to post a photo of the room? 

Once we can see how things are arranged in the room, we'll be able to offer recommendations on possible storage configurations.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Storage solutions wanted for spare room

Hi @diydiva,

As Eric mentioned, if you could please share some photos of the room so our members can see what you are working with, I'm sure it would help a lot to receive more helpful and specific advice. 

Could you also please tell us whether the storage system would only be temporary, or whether you might consider a built-in wardrobe? Built-in storage typically becomes a big asset for any home. 

Thanks,

Jason

39A03345-73C6-4685-8F26-C551760B1096.jpeg

F2A13FE4-63FE-49CA-8B57-8D5C21B41654.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @diydiva,

I'd recommend turning the alcove into a dedicated storage area and avoiding adding storage in the pitched roof section, as any storage added there will not be an efficient use of space due to the roof. It will also take away from any floor space that could be used to furnish the room. I'd propose you either build or purchase tiered shelving to suit your containers. It looks like there might be enough room to fit the shelving along one wall and still allow access to the area. This would be terrific as you could then add a partition wall and door to enclose the area. I've created the below renderings to give you an idea of what it might look like. You'd then have the entire room to decide where you'd like to place your desk.

Let me know what you think, and I'd be happy to provide further information or answer any questions you have.

Mitchell

Hi MitchellMc,

Thank you for your great ideas and the time you spent to help.I appreciate this and will start measuring out the space to see if it suits my needs.

Diydiva.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Keep us updated, @diydiva, and please reach out if you need assistance. If you have some other ideas, I'd be keen to assist you with implementing them.

Here's a series of videos that will assist in constructing the wall and installing a door: How to build a stud wall, How to install a door jamb, How to plasterboard a stud wall and How to hang a door.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects