Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ideas to get a wall unit like this

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Ideas to get a wall unit like this

Hi All.

I'm looking at ideas how I might be able to achieve this image below with flat packs.

I contacted a cabinet maker, and the quote range was 10k - 15k which is way out of my range.

Z&S+12+HR+(1).jpg

I've got a width of 4500 and a height of 2400 to work with.

I'm thinking potentially Kitchen cabinets for the tall ones ... but not sure what do do for the middle bit (which will be around 2700 wide if I use 600wide cabinets on the left and right)

For the bench top and the long shelf, what could I use that's 2700 long ... I'm thinking something with a veneer, but I know from experience I'm not great at laminating myself!

Also, how would I make that shelf floating, but also strong enough to hold books?

This is the space I'm working with:

Itai_0-1669087077596.png

Thanks

Itai

diy_hausdesigns
Amassing an Audience

Re: Ideas to get a wall unit like this

Hi Ital 

Great inspo and I think it's very much achievable using flat pack cabinetry at a fraction of the cost. 

For the middle section I've seen some similar cabinets at bunnings but do not recall the brand. Also have a look at the besta range from IKEA. It's modular like what's in your inspo.

All the best

Kind regards 

Rufaro 

----
Yours Kindly. For more, please follow @diy_hausdesigns

Thanks Rufaro. 

Yeah, I was playing around with the Besta system ... only thing is I can't get that long shelf ... and if I use their cupboards, then the shelf will be a different colour wood (as theirs isn't a veneer). 

I see Plyco does a 2700x1220 Veneer Particle Board which would be good. They have a plywood veneer too, but only 2440.

Though I suppose I could get them to cut me a bunch of boards to size for the front of the cupboards as they'd have the saws for exactly sizing.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Itai

Thanks for sharing your question about building cabinets for your wall unit. I'm currently drawing up a couple of ideas for you. I'll post them here as soon as I finish. Because you have so much space, there are a few combinations you can try, But it all depends if it will look balanced or crowded with the large cabinets at the side.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey @EricL Just wondering how you were coming along with some designs :smile:

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Itai 

My apologies for the delay, I just wanted to make sure that the cabinets I was going to recommend were available. I've drawn up a very close replica of the assembly you posted. However, I suggest visiting your local store and looking at the cabinet finishes to see which one catches your eye. The tall pantry cabinets are standard 900mm and the cabinets in the middle are slimline 900mm. The only cabinets that are custom ordered at the store will be the one's dead centre as they will come as less than 900mm. Please have a  look and tell me what you think.

The shelf at the top by the way is held in place with angle brackets. They can be installed out of sight and can support books if that's what you're planning to put in them. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Eric

itai tv cabinet1.jpgitai tv cabinet2.jpgitai tv cabinet3.jpg

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey Eric.

That looks good.

Wondering though, what would it look like if I put 2 x 600 pantry cabinets on either side, leaving around 2.1m for the middle bit?

Also, do I need to leave a gap either end of the cabinets for the doors to be able to open? Which could take an additional 5cm on either side or so? 

Regards

Itai

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Itai 

I've placed 18mm end panels on your tall cabinets and they should be enough to allow you to open the door to at least 90% of its actual swing. However, if you were to use low-profile handles you'll be able to open them to full. I've modified the drawing for you, please have a look.

Eric

itai tv cabinet4.jpgitai tv cabinet5.jpgitai tv cabinet6.jpg

Itai
Becoming a Leader

Hey @EricL 

That's good to know, thank you.

Sorry, I meant 2 x 600w (1200w) cupboards either side, so the middle space will only be ~2100.

Also, what's the heights of the bottom cupboards, gap between bottom cupboards and shelf, the shelf itself and the top cupboards ... and total from top to bottom?

Thanks

Itai

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

It's great to see that @EricL has provided those renderings for you, @Itai. I thought I'd take a stab using the Kaboodle planner and a little Photoshopping. Pretty close, hey!

Mitchell

Ren1.pngCabinet2.pngRencom.png

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects