Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to upcycle a wooden coat rack?

RHogg
Just Starting Out

How to upcycle a wooden coat rack?

Morning. I have recently saved this beautiful coat rack from the curb and would love some ideas on upcycling it for the entrance of our home.

Coat 1.jpgCoat 2.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to upcycle a wooden coat rack?

Hello @RHogg 

Welcome to the Bunnings workshop community. Its' marvellous to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about upcycling your wooden coat rack.

That is a beautiful furniture piece you have there. It appears that the former owner tried their hand at updating the piece by painting the small benchtop. The general process of upcycling usually involves sanding the furniture back to timber and repairing the structure and surface of the furniture. The final colour choice of course is very personal, and it can be traditional varnish sealers to modern colours combined.

Here is a link for ideas and inspiration: Upcycled Buffets.

If this is the final spot for the coat rack, I suggest thinking about using a dark colour for the body and a light plain sealer for the small benchtop and the footing at the bottom. Since your walls are so bright the dark colour applied to the body of the wooden rack will provide a beautiful contrast and make the piece pop- out. 

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric    

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to upcycle a wooden coat rack?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @RHogg. We're pleased to have you join us and look forward to seeing you put your stamp on this lovely piece of furniture.

We have many experienced upcyclers in the community so let me tag a few to see if they can add their thoughts to the discussion: 

@daniknight4@LorenaDIYS@Renowayoflife@jemma11 and @Oddchair22     

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects