Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to transition from tile to hybrid floor (few mm lower) with a narrow strip

barydos
Having an Impact

How to transition from tile to hybrid floor (few mm lower) with a narrow strip

Hi everyone,

I recently did my first attempt at laying hybrid flooring (replaced the existing carpets) on the concrete floor, in my small living room.

PXL_20230225_020905816.jpg

I plan on adding scotia (deciding between white and matching the flooring) to the skirting, but before I do that - I'd like to get the transition sorted. At this point, the gap of the transition is about 10mm and the edge of the tiles appear to maybe 3mm higher than the hybrid flooring. Is there a nice simple solution here?

PXL_20230225_020924382.MP.jpgPXL_20230225_020939328.jpg

I don't want a transition that's too wide (for my liking haha), and ideally I'd prefer if i didn't have to have a larger gap for any transition "base" (which may require screwing into the concrete?). Honestly, if I have to just use some concrete glue or something I would do it. Some examples of what I was looking at: https://postimg.cc/LYHQXHR6

I also like the existing metal on the title edge, would love to somehow transition that smoothly, but would love to see what my options are and all suggestions welcome. It's my first time with transition stuff, so there are a lot of considerations I'm probably missing.

Thanks!

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to transition from tile to hybrid floor (few mm lower) with a narrow strip

Bunnings sell a whole heap of different trims just for this. Some are aluminium and nail to the floor between the 2 surfaces, some are polymer and just clip or glue in. I suggest going in and having a look. Or google Bunnings floor trim. JDE

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to transition from tile to hybrid floor (few mm lower) with a narrow strip

Hi @barydos,

Well done on the floor; it looks sensational!

It's great to see @JDE has already offered some advice, and due to the many styles of floor trim, heading into a store is often the best solution. My mother recently needed a slightly unusual trim and was quite particular about the look of it, so I took her down to the local Bunnings, and we picked one out.

Here are a couple of options that might suit your desired look. The QEP 14mm x 2.5m Transition Cover Trim is only 14mm wide and will accommodate for the 3mm height difference whilst spanning the 10mm gap. We also have the QEP 2.5m x 10mm Mosaic White Tile Trim. I quite like this option as the lip could be slipped under the floating floor, raising it a few millimetres. The trim is 10mm wide, so it should fill the gap and might be closer to the look you're after than the traditional cover trim. It also comes in 8mm wide.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks @MitchellMc for the detailed reply!

Regarding the cover trim, would that simply require a bit of glue underneath to install this? Not sure how it will sit without falling over or something like that. Either way I'll definitely go to a Bunnings to have a look though.

With the tile trim, that's a decent alternative. I guess since it wouldn't entirely cover the hybrid flooring it would rely on my laying to be straight!

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

You can use Sika 290ml Crystal Clear Sikaflex®-112 Adhesive Sealant to glue the cover trim into position @barydos. Fill 3/4 of the gap up with the adhesive and then push the trim into position.

You're correct that the tile trim doesn't hide any errors. You could possibly use it in combination with a Hanwood 2.4m Brown Senior End Timbertone Flooring Trim. By adjusting its angle slightly, you can obscure any unstraight edges of your flooring.

Mitchell

Thanks as always for your help to all of my questions @MitchellMc!

Firstly I've gone out and picked up the QEP cover trim as you've suggested and I think it'll do the trick.

transition.jpg

I haven't yet added the adhesive yet, but I'll do that next time I get a chance. I still need to install the scotia trim as well, so I plan to get a power mitre saw so I can cut that and also cut the cover trim. Since it's a soft metal, I'm assuming the standard power mitre saw should do the trick to cut the cover trim to size, is that right?

Anyway, I purchased some scotia trim:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hanwood-2-4m-scotia-white-wpc-hybrid-flooring-trim_p0227410

https://www.bunnings.com.au/hanwood-2-4m-white-vinyl-wrap-floating-floor-scotia-trim_p0227389

I didn't realise there were different ones. I purchased the hybrid ones and have questions about that.

1) Firstly, regarding the adhesive on the back (see photos), is this supposed to go on the skirting and is that supposed to be sufficient? I'm thinking of getting a brad nailer to set those in, and some other glue for any joints.

2) The scotia trim looks a bit off white (next to my white-on-white walls/skirting). Is a standard oil-based paint just do the trick, no need for any other primer?

3) What's the difference between the hybrid and the non-hybrid scotia options above?

scotiaStrip.jpgscotiaWall.jpg

Thanks as always, apologies in advance for all the questions!

Cheers

KatieC
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @barydos,

No need to apologise, we are always happy to help. @MitchellMc will be back online on Friday but our other amazing DIY expert @EricL will be online later this afternoon to assist with your questions. In the meantime, let me check with members @JDE@Jewelleryrescue, and @TedBear to see if they have some suggestions to bring your way. 

Katie

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @barydos 

No need to worry about asking many questions, we are here to help. In regards to the metal trim, please don't use the mitre saw to cut the steel as the blade on it is designed to cut through wood only. Forcing it to cut steel, even soft steel will damage the blade and could possibly cause injury. I suggest using a hack saw or a grinder with a metal rated cutting disc.

You've purchased two kinds of scotia trim, one of them is made of hybrid material and the other one is timber covered in vinyl. Technically both of them can be painted, but they need to be primed before painting. I recommend using Dulux 1L PRECISION Maximum Strength Adhesion Primer White. It has superior adhesion and is designed to go onto tough to paint surfaces.

However, if you haven't cut the vinyl covered trim, I recommend exchanging it for a hybrid one. The vinyl covered trim is like a vacuum sealed door panel, when the top layer is damaged it comes off in strips and is difficult to repair.

I agree with your idea of extra support, it's best to add glue and use brad nails to hold the scotia in place. I suggest using Sika 430g White SikaBond Instant Nails Fast Construction Adhesive. I recommend putting on a small bead of adhesive on the scotia to prevent it from overflowing out to the floor.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a dust mask while working on your scotia. 

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @barydos,  this is my late chime in, but...

you have quite a gap to fill in there and there is some risk of creating a tripping hazard if you try to fill it with too small a width of trim.  The wider it is the less the incline there will be, even if it is just 3mm height difference.  But of course you'll need to balance that out against the aesthetics.

To get the strip to stay in place within a wide channel like you have, it would be safest to fill it in, in a few places at  least, with timber strips.

You will need to make them wide enough to almost span the gap, with just enough clearance to jam the lower tail of the joiner strip into place.

Otherwise the strip will be able to move around, as you have predicted in your question on how to anchor it, and that would be dangerous as well as unsatisfactory.  Once you have the strips at the correct width, you can glue them into the bottom of the channel. (You could just use one length of timber strip to run full length of the channel.)  Which side of the current gap you anchor the joiner on, is up to you... see how it looks either way before you set it in place.

If you want it centred, make up sets of two thinner strips, so the gap that captures the joiner is in the middle of the floor gap.

barydos
Having an Impact

Hey all, an update for this thread.

@TedBear, I took your concern into consideration and I also did notice that some bits it only JUST fit the width, so I ended up opting for a wider transition strip. It was the wider version of the QEP transition cover trim that @MitchellMc had suggested. I was a bit worried at first it would be make movement as you walked over it, but after a day of it being held down with the construction adhesive, it's 100% not moving and it feels safe to walk over.

@EricL, thank you for the advice. I ended up using this primer and then the leftover Dulux white-on-white paint I had to get it matching the skirting. Used compound mitre saw + brad nailer (ryobi 18V) + caulking with https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-475g-no-more-gaps-interior-multipurpose-gap-filler_p1230010 (with painters tape for a nicer finish) for the first time! I'd say overall it was a success.

Once again, thanks to everyone for all your great advice. I'll be sure to come back to this forum for more in the future :smile:

Here are some pictures:

floor1.jpgfloor2.jpgfloor3.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects