Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sound proof shutters?

leilaniryan
Just Starting Out

How to sound proof shutters?

image.jpg

my bedroom is a loft and i find there’s a lot of noise that travels from a downstairs to my bedroom. I have shutters but need something that is more sound proofing.  ideally would like an installation that also prevents noise coming out from my bedroom. This is a rental property so I’m not looking for anything fixed, and would also need the installation easy to remove as I open the shutters once in a while. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sound proof shutters?

Hello @leilaniryan

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's fabulous to have you join us, and thank you for sharing your question about soundproofing.

I suggest using Bastion 1200 x 600 x 30mm XPS Multi-Use Insulation Foam Board in combination with Command™ Large White Adhesive Picture Hanging Strips Value Pack - 12 Pack. The general steps are to position the foam board in the centre of the window and push lightly so that the handle positions are marked on the surface of the board. Use a utility knife to cut out space for the handles. Re-test the position of the board to make sure it lies flat on the surface of the shutters. 

When you are satisfied with the position of the board you can begin to put the 3M strips on the corners and edge of the panel. Once in place, you should now be able to anchor the foam board in place by simply pushing it into place. When you need to take it off simply grab the corner and gently lift it off.  

Please make sure to use safety gloves and goggles when cutting into the foam board.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects