Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to sand and stain particleboard and fibreboard?

r0z3a
Just Starting Out

How to sand and stain particleboard and fibreboard?

Hi, 

I’m a bit new to the whole sanding game. And I really want to refurbish a chest of drawers and stain it. But before I buy it I want to make sure I can do it. 

I have stripped paint from a vanity before and I know how to stain wood. But I don’t know if I can do the same with particleboard and fibreboard. 

I know with regular wood like timber you can sand it down and stain it. But from what I’ve seen online most people with draws made of particleboard or fibreboard they only paint over it, not sand it down or stain the wood. 

I would love some suggestions on what I should do as I really want to update an ikea chest of draws and then sand and stain it rather then paint over it.

thank you!

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to sand and stain particleboard and fibreboard?

Hello @r0z3a 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about painting particleboard. 

It is possible to paint particleboard, but keep in mind that the particleboard surface is easy to damage as it is just made of compressed woodchips and binder. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the drawers you are planning to paint? This will give our members a chance to assess the surface. We can then make recommendations on how to proceed.

Is it wrapped in laminate or covered in timber veneer? If it is just plain particleboard, then you'll need to be careful when sanding the surface. Your goal is to scuff the surface in order to remove the smoothness, deep sanding will cause the binder to loosen up and you'll get pits on the drawer surface.

I recommend using a primer like the Zinsser 1L Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Undercoat Primer Sealer Stain Blocker. Once the primer cures it will help with securing the surface of the particleboard. 

But before we go any further, it will definitely help if we can see what the drawer cabinet looks like.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects