Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to restore this beauty?

projectmumdanni
Making a Splash

How to restore this beauty?

20220821_204734.jpg

the top towards back is damaged..should I replace top? I love the detail as it reminds me of childhood. Was thinking painting vivid white or ironstone and replace handles

jsauv
Just Starting Out

Re: how to restore this beauty

How gorgeous.
A vivid white gloss would be beautiful! 

What’s the damage on the top like? 

Hi Jsauv, it is chipboard I think and is lifting up and breaking at back.

top.png

Hi @projectmumdanni,

There are a few ways you could go about this repair. The first would be to add PVA glue to the sections where the top is lifting away, and then after it's dried, repair the area with wood filler. Next would be removing the top laminate that's breaking away and seeing if you could use what's underneath as the top. Or, you could cut some 3mm plywood and adhere it over what's there.

If the top seems relatively good apart from this damage at the back, I'd recommend trying to bind the damage with PVA glue and filling the area. Once sanded flat, undercoated and painted, the repair should be unnoticeable.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi MitchellMc my partner got myself to purchase Parfix multi-purpose filler and we've applied..waiting for it to set so can sand and finish painting. I dropped the main door 😭tried to fill bottom corner..fingers crossed it fixs it. Have decided to paint it ironstone..have been using Matt but think I might need a gloss. Am deciding to use gold or brass knobs/handles :smile:

20220918_111906.jpg

Keep at it @projectmumdanni! I can't wait to see your results.

Mitchell

20221222_153536.jpg

 I've got to sand the varnish down a bit tomorrow..got a bit excited lol and overdone it :unhappy:  am wondering if should do something to the wood panel's corners. Would of loved to of done top planked to add thickness to the top. Brought some antique looking knobs by taskmaster and painted in dulux vivid white matt to go with other furniture have done. Just need to fix the door as isn't shutting and put a grab latch in behind it. My partner is happy it's nearly finished so he has more room in his shed lol

20221222_153544.jpg

Hello @projectmumdanni

Thank you very much for the update on your beautiful drawer set project. The finish looks fantastic and the new handles fit in very nicely. Comparing it with the old handles makes the door less busy and highlights the features of the door. Did you sand the down the benchtop again? Are you putting another coat on top? If you are, I suggest diluting the stain and varnish that you're using, this will give you a much smoother finish and you won't see the brushmark overlaps.

Again, thank you for sharing your drawer set upcycle project.

Eric

Well done @projectmumdanni, it's looking fantastic.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects