Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to replace top closet door pivot?

KMc1
Finding My Feet

How to replace top closet door pivot?

Hello! Looking for help in identifying what hardware I need to reattach the middle door on my wardrobe. The top of the door has completely fallen off, while the bottom of the door remains connected through (1) a sliding hinge and (2) a plastic looking plug which connects the corner of the door to the frame such that it can pivot. I do not know how the top of the door was previously connected, and cannot seem to find any parts that have off, although they may be hidden amongst my clothes. I assume there must have been some kind of plastic piece connecting the door to the frame to allow it to pivot. I would be very grateful if anyone can help identify what I need to fix this!

photos show

(1) top of the door, looking down

(2) top frame, looking up

(3) top of the door,  looking from inside the cupboard

(4) bottom of the door, looking down to show hinge368232C0-639E-4D8D-8DF8-1A7C0AA527CD.jpeg

D22EFB7D-36EA-4560-80F1-ED9729367BF7.jpeg

732AF225-40A6-4DB5-848C-DB640B616F1F.jpeg

3BAFB7DB-CB49-4D4C-9DAB-AE25B4E58D45.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to replace top closet door pivot

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @KMc1. It's sensational to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about door hinges.

It appears that either the plastic locating pin has snapped off or it's retracted down into the door. In the image below, if you push up the little tab does it push out the pin from within the door? If so, align the pin with the hole in the frame and push it back up into position.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Mitchell! Thank you SO much!!! Was able to slide it back up into place and now all good :))) only thing is that the door is now not fully clicking into its closed position. It closes on top of the left door. I have included a few photos below:

(1) door on the right is the one I just fixed

(2) closing mechanism on the door that is ajar

(3) closing mechanism on the other door

Would be so grateful for any other tips!  Thanks again :smile:

92CF6EAE-3F9C-4BDF-AD41-9A687A3749DF.jpeg

159CEA8F-2C8F-4DCF-AB4D-CC809AEAED44.jpeg

  

D00065F5-A9D9-4233-AC97-7953FA6356FE.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Fantastic Saturday morning win @KMc1!

When you say it's not clicking into position, does that click come from the latch mechanism that appears to be retracted? Is that latch mechanism functioning, and does the mechanism extend out from the latch?

Mitchell

Hi Mitchell. Thanks for your reply. The latch mechanism does not function - it appears to be connected to a keyhole on the front that I have never used. Perhaps it was misleading to say “click” into place. I’m not certain what was holding it closed before - perhaps it was just resting in place? I wonder whether maybe I should add some kind of small magnet closure?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

"I wonder whether maybe I should add some kind of small magnet closure?" that's what I was thinking, @KMc1, and I was already looking for some that would suit. Unfortunately, most are designed to be installed on the roof of the cabinet and the metal tab on the back of the door. With your set-up, the top of the cabinet is recessed above the top of the door level, so it would make it difficult to install something like this Taskmaster 46mm Black Magnetic Door Catch. You'd need to install a timber riser on the roof of the cabinet to correct the issue. You might gather what I'm saying, but it's a bit hard to explain in words. I've rendered a diagram to assist in conveying this.

My only concern with that would be that it looks like the frame has a bit of a chamfer to it, which means the rectangular block riser might still not allow you to mount the magnet latch close enough to the back of the door to catch the metal tab. Cutting the riser to suit the chamfer would allow you to mount the latch closer, but that might be starting to get a bit complicated.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects