Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair cracked glass in leadlight china cabinet door?

Sorted101
Just Starting Out

How to repair cracked glass in leadlight china cabinet door?

Cracked glass.jpg

Looking to renovate an older styled China cabinet - that has 2 cracked panes of glass in the front door.
What is the best repair product for the cracked glass?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair cracked glass in leadlight china cabinet door?

Hello @Sorted101 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's sensational to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about your cabinet door.

I propose engaging the services of a professional who have the tools and experience in repairing leadlight. Your door can be repaired. Generally speaking, the repair person will need to cut out the damaged area, find and cut matching glass, smooth adhesive-backed copper tape around the edges of each piece, then coat the copper with solder.

In reality the repair process is much more involved as removing the glass itself means that they will have to melt the old solder and seal that's there without damaging the surrounding pieces. That requires skill and experience. If too much heat is applied to the glass, it cracks again skill and experience comes into play as the repair person will be familiar with this.       

I don't recommend doing this repair job as a D.I.Y. It would best to have it done professionally, plus the repair will come with a warranty.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects