Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to repair a cracked timber window ledge?

limbo
Getting Established

How to repair a cracked timber window ledge?

Hi

I have a window wooden ledge that have cracks that needed repair and need to paint over the cracks filler after repair. What sort of filler should I use and what tools needed to do the repair? The filler should be friendly for paint to paint over. Thanks

20230925_000709.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to repair a cracked timber window ledge?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @limbo. It's wonderful to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about filling cracks.

Since this is MDF, it has swelled likely due to moisture and expanded as the glues have failed. If you are happy with the swollen ledge, you could fill the gaps with a paintable timber filler like Earl's 600g White MulTfill Ready To Use Filler. A little sanding will be required to smooth off the filler after it has dried. You'll then be able to undercoat the repair and paint.

For a slightly better result and to reduce the swelling, you could first squeeze PVA glue into the cracks (push it in with a toothpick) and clamp the timber to compress it back into the correct form. You'll then be able to apply the filler over any remaining cracks

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
limbo
Getting Established

Thanks Mitchell. Thanks for the advice

Got it all done up in half a day.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Any chance of a finished shot @limbo? Would you be able to briefly let our members know what method you went with? That would be really helpful for anyone with a similar issue that comes across this discussion.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
limbo
Getting Established

hi Mitchell

I used the filler method but decided to coat it before the filler dry out. Should have wait for the filler to dry out and then coat.  Anyway, it still better than before and happy with it. cheers.

20230925_120232.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects