Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to renovate walk-in wardrobe?

andredantas_sp
Getting Established

How to renovate walk-in wardrobe?

B5554BC7-C7D5-4B01-8D72-4380C7ADC3D0.jpeg2D31A215-48A6-4476-A556-AE4894117CB9.jpeg

Hi All, I just moved to this unit and I’m not happy with the wardrobe, there are no drawers or additional storage, I was thinking about removing the shelf and the hanger and start from scratch.

The idea is to get a carcass for the entire space first and then do half of the wardrobe with the hanger and the other half drawers with storage units on top of the drawers. I also want to put a shelf on top, what would be the best way to go to get the carcass cut the exactly size I want, would bunnings be able to do it?

This is my actual wardrobe at the moment and the second picture what I want it to be.

I’ve never done this before so I know it can be a bit challenge but I’m willing to give it a try since I’m on the budget, I’m also thinking about installing mirrors door, but not sure how would the rail go on top of the floor? Would it be an issue?

As soon as I decide the way to go I’m bringing everything down and will be posting pictures during the process.

Cheers

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: renovating walk in wardrobe

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @andredantas_sp. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about renovating a wardrobe.

That looks like a relatively simple conversion, as you already have the shelf you're after. It could be as simple as installing a Flexi Storage White 3 Shelf 4 Drawer Built In Wardrobe Unit on the right-hand side. This unit is 1588mm tall, and I'd guess there will be around a 30cm gap between the top and bottom of your current shelf. The Flexi Storage White 4 Drawer 3 Shelf Walk In Wardrobe Unit is 2000mm tall, but I suspect you might need to raise the current shelf slightly to get it to fit.

The alternative would be to have two pieces of 1800 x 445mm 16mm Melamine White ABS Pre Drilled Shelving cut down in-store to the distance between your floor and the bottom of your shelf. You'll need to notch out their rear lower corner to accommodate the skirting board's thickness. You can then screw them into the sides of a Multistore 550 x 608 x 430mm Crisp White 2 Jumbo Drawer Storage Unit and the bottom of your shelf. You'll then be able to have shelves cut to suit and sit them on shelf supports.

You can cut down your existing chrome hanging rod to fit the new space and use the fittings to mount it.

Even if you had all the shelves and side panels cut up, used build-your-own drawers and constructed the unit yourself, by my calculations, it would only come out $20 cheaper than a Flexi Storage White 3 Shelf 4 Drawer Built In Wardrobe Unit. If you were looking for other budget options, I'd suggest you check out our range of wardrobe storage solutions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Mitchell,

That was really helpful, I am actually going to get rid of the shelf and place a new one, I'll be looking in these materials you mentioned this week.

Thanks,

Andre.

I'm glad I could assist Andre (@andredantas_sp)! 

Have a read through this guide on How to customise a flatpack wardrobe, as it could give you some ideas.

Please keep us updated, as we'd love to see your finished wardrobe when you're done and reach out again if you get stuck.

Mitchell

16048971-FC76-4FC7-A8A4-5707055F67F3.jpeg

  

CCDF4834-24F5-4057-9868-9ABDC9215BDC.jpeg

80CD14B0-DECB-4F0B-9CF5-EE79618D13CA.jpeg

EF34D8C1-91C7-489F-B981-C4BB2C1DF21A.jpeg

  

Ok guys, I really appreciate all the help, took me a while but this was my first job and I am really happy how it ended up, I had everything cut to size and the result I couldn’t be happier! Going to post what was before and how it is right now!

588E4A0D-1208-4B65-B32B-71ABBA25A523.jpeg

D018A62F-E5CF-44F7-8302-DA5B16E80B60.jpeg

Very well done @andredantas_sp, what a great result!

Many thanks for returning to the site and sharing your work. 

What project are you tackling next? Please don't hesitate to post if you need a hand with anything around the house and garden. We're here to help.

Jason

Thanks Jason,

My next one will be to build a small home office in a closet I am not using in my living room. But for next year, this year I won't have time.

Thanks,

Andre.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects