Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to patch a section of an internal wall so the paint is even?

nika
Finding My Feet

How to patch a section of an internal wall so the paint is even?

Hi,

I am trying to patch and paint a section of my wall in the hallways. After painting the patch which i sanded and painted stands out as it is smooth in comparison to the rest of the wall. How can I get it to have some texture so it does not stand out?

wall.jpg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to patch a section of an internal wall so the paint is even?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @nika. We're excited to have you join our community of D.I.Y. enthusiasts who are sharing inspiring projects, asking questions and exchanging D.I.Y. advice on the site everyday. Don't hesitate to let me know in case you have any questions on how to get the most out of the site.

Thanks for your query. Let me tag our knowledgeable and helpful members @Tyro@jemma11@Renowayoflife@sammilne and @Inspiredcoastal to see if they have any thoughts. 

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @nika 

Thanks for sharing your question regarding your wall patch finish. I suspect that the finish on your wall was caused by the painter's rough roller. A light pass over the soft surface caused a stippling effect to form but not enough to be noticeable.

To recreate the effect, I suggest using a UNi-PRO 100mm You Can Do It Gloss And Low Sheen Mini Roller Kit 9mm Nap. Please do not use the gloss roller, what you are after is the rough bumpy finish of the low sheen roller. Now it's technically impossible to duplicate the original roller finish. It's like a fingerprint, no two are the same.

But if applied correctly you can get very close to the light stippled finish. Your goal is to run the roller in such a way that it leaves an imperfect finish. The roller has to have very little paint on it as its job is impart an effect. The only other method that comes to mind is to paint over the surface and use a sponge to create surface effect.

Let me call on our experienced members @redbournreno, @Peggers and @lifestylebymari for their recommendations.

Please remember to wear to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask when workingon your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How big is your hallway @nika?

In my experience it is always very difficult to patch a small section of wall and not have it very noticeable. The best approach is to always repaint the whole wall. 

Jason

nika
Finding My Feet

Hi jason

thanks for reply. I am re painting the entire wall but i dont want the smooth patch to stand out i want to give it texture so it matches the entire wall. 

nika
Finding My Feet

Thank you. 

appreciate your response. Will give it a go. 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @nika 

Please keep us updated with your progress, if you run into any other painting issues, please don't hesitate to post a question. 

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects