Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to mount a curtain track to concrete ceiling?

Mitch_1990
Finding My Feet

How to mount a curtain track to concrete ceiling?

Hi! I'm looking for advice for mounting a track curtain to a concrete ceiling in my unit. The building is an 80's double-brick construction with concrete slab ceiling and substrate and we have 1 unit above us. I would need to drill about 40mm into the ceiling to install about 6 brackets evenly across the width (red line in image indicating the placement). Having never drilled into the ceiling previously, is there anything I should look out for or issues that could arise? Is it likely I would encounter rebar or conduit at that depth? 

Any advice would be amazing! 

Thanks,

Mitch 

Curtain-track.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to mount a curtain track to concrete ceiling?

Hi @Mitch_1990,

Many thanks for your question. We have a guide How to hang just about anything but let me tag some helpful members to assist with your specific questions:

@EricL@Nailbag@Dave-1@JacobZ95.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JacobZ95
Growing in Experience

Hey @Mitch_1990,

I’m guessing that it’s a Body Corporate which would mean this slab technically forms part of the “common areas” as it’s a shared division between two lots. I would be consulting with the other owners and the Body Corporate before you drill into the ceiling; 1 as you may be in breach of your by-laws and 2 because drilling into concrete slabs can be incredibly loud.

While it’s unlikely you’d hit it, it’s entirely possible that there is electrical conduit running through the slab. It would definitely be worth reviewing building plans to see the location of electrical wiring before drilling into a suspended slab. Your Body Corporate manager would have access to this as it’s a requirement for them to have a copy of the original plans on file. 

It is also entirely possible that you will hit rebar. Unfortunately for a suspended slab to work, there is a considerable amount of reinforcing required. In my experience, without spending a hell of a lot of money on slab scanning, all you can do if you hit rebar is try again 10-20mm to the side. 

It may prove easier for you to wall mount the curtain rod.

Hope this helps,

Jacob

Nailbag
Making a Splash

Hi @Mitch_1990 There are quite a few things to consider:
Do you own the unit or renting. If renting, though legally you don't have to advise the owners but it would be highly recommended out of courtesy. Plus it may require body corp approval. and if you own it, check with the body corp, in case you need to advise them of any changes to the property.

Next is safety first, and not only could there be electrical cabling to consider, but gas and water as @JacobZ95 mentioned. Though the information will be on building plans, the exact location will be a guide only, especially plans dating back to the 80's. The chances at 40mm depth is going to be very slim, in particular directly above the sliding door especially if thats duplicated on the apartment above.

Hitting reo at 40mm is unlikely but easily tackled in a few ways. Make a fresh hole either side (30mm) if thats an option with the track. if not, if using a standard hammer drill, switch to a metal drill bit from the masonry. But the bit may slip off centre as your drilling. If using an SDS hammer drill, then a 4-cut Kango bit will go through both concrete and reo. These bits are self centring as they drill, so won't drift off course both from the start of the hole and if you hit metal. This would be the way I would go if you have access to one. Both types of hammer drill's are very noisy, so maybe give the neighbour a heads up.

Now, all that aside is there an option to mount the track off adjustable reach brackets like this one I did in the attached photo, which will be a much simpler option.

IMG_6061.JPG

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I see our knowledgeable members have already provided some great replies @Mitch_1990. They've really covered everything I would have. As mentioned, speaking with your body corporate is the first place to start. I might just have bad luck, but I always seem to find the reo when drilling into concrete every time. Multi-material bits can be a saviour here.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

Thanks all for the fantastic advice! We've opted to go for the wall mounted bracket instead. Less of a headache than going into the concrete. Cheers! 

That's great to hear @Mitch_1990. Well done, and many thanks for sharing your results.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects