Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to match the stain of my timber floors?

tuvireb
Getting Established

How to match the stain of my timber floors?

Hoping someone here has enough knowledge and can help me.

I have a broken floor board and plan to get someone to help me put a new one in. I got a few quotes to get this sorted but all either say they won't be able to match the color, or say that I'll have to sand the entire floor (corridor + 3 bedrooms) because of that 1 floorboard.

I have a spare few floorboards that the builder left me, the floor board is Jarrah.

I'm just not sure what the best stain/paint would be to get a similar enough look/color if I only replace 1 broken floorboard.

Any ideas? I can remove a piece of the timber that's already broken and go to a store for some (paid?) help with color matching but not sure if that's an option?

Floor Color.jpg

colorm atch.jpg

floor1.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to match the stain of my timber floors?

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @tuvireb. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about matching timber stains.

To me, it doesn't look like any stain is used here, and it just appears like a clear high-gloss finish. I'm not sure what your second image is, but if you were to apply a clear gloss to the board in your last image, then it would appear similar to your floor. However, your floor is extremely glossy and has a thick coating, so I'm not 100% sure what will give you a good match. I'm of the impression that this is likely a professionally poured coating that could be two-part epoxy. The only product I've seen that gives a similar finish to this would be Feast Watson Glass Finish which isn't suitable for floors.

You might like to take your spare board into one of our stores to see what our Paint Experts think. They might even be able to try some finishes for you.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks mate,

Yeh it's very glossy, sometimes it's almost mirror-like!

I did not know it was an option! I'll take my floorboard to the local Bunning store and see if they can help me find a close enough match!

Another thank @MitchellMc 

As you suggested, I went to Bunnings just now and the paint lady was very helpful.

She applied a bit of "Cabot's 1L Cabothane Clear Gloss CFP Floor Polyurethane" onto my board and whilst the board hasn't been sanded yet, it's just 1 coat and it's still wet, the color itself looks close enough!

Here's a photo (next to the currently broken floorboard covered with putty):

color match.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Agreed, @tuvireb. A very close match colour-wise. Even a clear gloss makes the dry timber look wet and darkens it significantly. My only concern with the CFP is that you likely won't be able to achieve the same level of gloss. However, since the colour is so close, that might not be a deal breaker.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects