Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay hybrid flooring around obstruction?

Jen10
Finding My Feet

How to lay hybrid flooring around obstruction?

Hi, I'm currently in the process of removing carpet and laying down hybrid flooring. I've run into an issue at the top of my staircase, the way the railing is attached (see pictures). 

The planks are about as high as the flat bit, and there's a screw sticking out so cant go over it. 

Any ideas on how to get around this/cover it up?

Thank you, 

Jen

1000000190.jpg

1000001838.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: hybrid flooring

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Jen10. It's terrific to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about laying hybrid flooring.

Even if that screw was installed correctly so it was flush with the top of the bracket, it still sounds like the bracket is too tall to lay the flooring over it. Your only option might be to lay around it and paint the bracket in a similar colour to the flooring.

Let me mention @Dave-1 and @Nailbag to see if they have any suggestions.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @Jen10 

Can that upright be removed?

Elaborate suggestion I know and It would involve telescoping metal tube, a concrete bolt and....welding.

Just a late Sunday arvo suggestion.

😁

Scan1562.jpg

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Afternoon @Jen10 

I bet the floor will look swish once you have finished it!

I have had a similar issue with my handrails (timber and metal) and was a little stumped on how to deal with it at first.

If you look at Courtyard privacy fence and gate build, Part 2 

Step 2, fourth pic down

I had miscalculated when i put the stirrups in for the posts, I should have done it so the bolts were 90degrees out of step. Nevermind I figured a solution. One that you may be able to use as well.

First that Flat head screw probarly needs to be replaced. If thats all thats holdingthe banister... :surprised:  It must be strong. It may be a pain to get out as it looks like its rusted (therefore weakening it also) 

How thick is the hybrid flooring plus any underlay?

If its a few mm more then the metal foot, you are safe, if not then two options. Take @MitchellMc's advice as I would be doing the same.

The second is to actually raise the floor area using say hardiplank if its outside or masonite type material if its inside. That way you can recess the foot/screwhead into the underside of the hybrid flooring and hide it. Pretty much like I have showed with the privacy screem for the bolts. Be prepared for a few practice piece stho is about all I can suggest.

I marked the underside of the timber (flooring for you) by placing the fitted timber over the bolt head and "tapping" the top with a mallet gently. It gave just enough of an impression to center the holes needed. Then you drill but not all the way through, for you it will be about a sclose as I did by the sound of it. (look for a flat tipped drill bit or as flat as you can find)

Dave

This is a great solution idea by @Noyade 

Thank you @Noyade for your idea, would definitely be ideal for a smoother look. It's my first home and diy home reno project, but I'm guessing I'll need need some help with this (particularly the welding)

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Jen10 

It's great that you've received excellent advice from our members. Just to add to the suggestions made. I propose painting the steel foot in white to make it look brand new and changing the screw to a stainless-steel pan head. This will make it look nice even if it stands out. One other option is to paint it brown or the same shade as your hybrid flooring so that it blends in.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects