Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to lay Masonite underlay?

Danne
Just Starting Out

How to lay Masonite underlay?

Hi, I'm at present ripping up the bedroom carpet in readiness for laying Vinyl Flooring Planks. On my list is the laying of an underlay first before the vinyl, I am a bit uncertain as to what type of fixing I should be using of the underlay and what spacing I should be putting the fixings at. The underlay is being laid over a particle board (I think it is yellow tongue), I was thinking staples however I had read somewhere that ring shanked nails are the preferred for underlay being laid over particle board.

Any advice appreciated.

Danne

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to lay Masonite underlay?

Hello @Danne 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us, and thanks for sharing your question about Masonite underlay.

You probably saw that bit of information in this discussion - How to install Masonite underlay? by @JB3. Ring shanked nails grip better in timber flooring. In regards to the spacing, I propose a gap of 200mm, if you find that you are having a hard time hammering the nails in, I suggest drilling small pilot holes to help with the installation.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves and goggles when working on your project.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Danne
Just Starting Out

Thanks Eric.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Danne 

Your vinyl flooring project sounds like an excellent project. Please don't forget to post your progress as you start laying down the vinyl. I'm sure our members would be keen to see the process.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects