Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to join two bits of wood panels for long desk?

joshs
Finding My Feet

How to join two bits of wood panels for long desk?

Hi all, 

I’m trying to create a desk that is 3400 long. I’m looking at these panels 

bunnings panel  

or these 

bunnings panel

I have a couple of questions.. how can I join the pieces of wood together to make 3400? Just wood glue and pocket screws? Is 18mm thick enough? How can I attach the sides so you cant see screws? L brackets? 

What tools will I need? I only have an angle grinder and a drill available, do I need other things? Clamps? Does Bunnings cut the wood? 

I’ve attached a photo. The side panels will be the same wood and the drawers/shelves in the middle will be bought separately 

IMG_9301.jpeg

Akanksha
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: How to join two bits of wood panels for long desk?

A warm welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, @joshs. We're thrilled to have you join us and trust you will get lots of useful advice and inspiring ideas for your home improvement and garden projects from our wonderful community. 

Thanks for your question on building a long desk. Sounds like an exciting project. Our resident Bunnings D.I.Y. expert @EricL will be online later today and will be happy to assist.

Let me tag our woodworking experts @AndrewJones and @Wayne to see if they have any thoughts in the meantime. Also tagging @ProjectPete@ogosh and @Nham who have shared some excellent desk projects in the past. 

While waiting, you might also want to have a look at our Top 10 most popular desk projects for some inspiring desk builds.

Keep us updated as your project progresses. We'd love to see the final result.

Akanksha

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Afternoon (just)  @joshs 

I love those solid panels from Bunnings. I think Kreg screws, dowels and biscuits would all work, based on believing you are going to support the join with those open cabinets seen in your diagram.

That diagram also suggests back panels which would support the ends - so I can't see a need for 'L' brackets?

"drawers/shelves in the middle will be bought separately"

I was thinking you get this first, to determine the end heights and where the join will be supported.

Cheers.

Jewelleryrescue
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi @joshs 

Looking at your diagram I am going to assume the two panels join at the centre where there is the middle up right of the cupboard supporting the join.

I would not join the timbers just push them together and screw them in place. 

I might put  either a double wall  timber in the cupboard so  each  panel end is supported fully rather than half and half sharing the single middle cupboard  divider.

Or use the single divider and screw in two timber beads 30mm x 19 mm square approx at the top for panel support.

Too answer your question  to attach a timber  bead to the inside of each end appox 30 x 19 timber pine screw  and wood glue it so it looks like an  upside down  'L'  shape. That little lip on the L shape drill a couple of holes through it for screws to come up from the  underside of the desk  panels and they will be hidden,

You will need cordless drill, pvc Wood glue, saw to  cut wood or a good  tape measure to get bunnings to cut wood for you they will do that.

The  weight of the panels will sit them in place on top of the cabinet. 

Hay  @joshs 

Lets  rethink you plans a bit and save you alot of work and tool buying. Start thinking modular furnature like @Noyade  meantioned

What if you consider buying flat pak furnature and simply screw the panels to the top I have done this and it is so easy i bought  two under desk draws  and placed a panel  bridging the two flat paks.

You will need 3 flat paks as you want to use 2 panels.    Your desk  will look like 3 units. 2  supports at each end and a unit under  the join in the middle.

This will create space  for two people with the leg space between the units.

Often  you  can choose modular  furnature  from a range of  product in the same range  ie desk,  filing cabinet , shelves all from the same range of furnature  usual they  are the same height as it is important to sit panels on.  

Food for thought

Thank you @Akanksha. I look forward to hearing from the experts!

The diagram has shade at the back but it will just be wall or vj panelling. Would Bunnings cut those solid panels? Because would need an extra one cut for the two outside legs 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @joshs 

Thanks for sharing your question about joining two panels to make a long desk. I suggest having a peek at this discussion - How to join timber panels to form L-benchtop on pantry cabinets? by @barydos. Although it is about an L shaped desk the technique in joining them together is still the same. 

I suggest using the Practa 2200 x 600 x 26mm Acacia Timber Benchtop. Because it is 26mm thick it will allow you to use the Kaboodle Benchtop Joiner and the Taskmaster 120mm Bench Top Connector. These joiners require a minimum benchtop thickness of 20mm.

In regards to the side panels, I'm in agreement with @Noyade's assessment, if the ends will get extra support there should be no need to install brackets. However, if you feel that it is necessary for the tables stability you can install them for extra rigidity.

The shop saws will cut the EasyVJ panelling, but keep in mind that you'll need to cut them again if you want the cut clean and precise. I'm sorry but they will not cut the benchtop panels as the saws are too rough, and it's not made for precision cutting.

As for the tools you'll need, I suggest holding off until you've finalized your plans and fittings.

If you have any other questions we can help with, please let us know.     

Eric

joshs
Finding My Feet

Thank you kindly Eric. How can I cut the benchtop panels? The diagram doesn’t have a back panel, it’s just the wall, so would it need brackets or could I just some wooden dowels in the top of side panels and drop the benchtop top?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @joshs 

You can cut the panel with either a hand saw or a circular saw. If you don't have experience in using either tool, I suggest doing some practice cuts on offcut timber pieces. 

In regards to the side panels, it would be good if you could screw them to the main bench top, but if that is not possible, I suggest using an angle bracket to add extra support for the table.

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects