Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang a television on a coolroom panel?

Silverback
Getting Established

How to hang a television on a coolroom panel?

The panels are being used to construct  our home. Usually consist of 0.6mm steel sheet with100mm expanded polyurethane then 0.4mm steel sheet. (See Bondor Panels).

I was thinking  of bonding possibly 2 mm Ali panel to wall then fastening tv wall mount with screws. Other option I was thinking of was high strength magnets.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How would I hang a 65" 24kg television on what is essentially a coolroom panel.

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Silverback. It's great to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about hanging a television.

It sounds like you'd need to provide our members with some more information on what this cooler wall is made from and how it's constructed. It might also be worth contacting the wall manufacturer to enquire whether items can be hung from it. Being the manufacturer, they would be the ultimate resource for their product.

I'd suggest that it would be a better idea to mount the TV on the frame of the wall instead of the panel; that way, you'd know it was secure. Is there a timber or steel frame to this wall?

You might like to check out this discussion on How to hang just about anything. Also, here's a nifty step-by-step guide on How to build a TV cabinet with wall mount.

I'm keen to know more about your project and provide further assistance.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: How would I hang a 65" 24kg television on what is essentially a coolroom panel.

Good morning @Silverback 

I am not sure I would chance it on a coolroom panel. Arnt they pretty much two sheets of thin metal with glue and styrofoam sandwiched between them? It would possibly support it but id be worried id break my TV . 

Do you know whats on the other side of the panel and can you put bolts all the way through? Any chance of a couple of photos showing the location you want to hang the tv? 

I did see a project in here about someone building up a frame to hang large screen tvs off that was freestanding. Kind of like a big L shape standing.

Dave

Hi MitchellMc, there are no frames at all in the structure. Everything  interlocks.

Silverback
Getting Established

Hi Dave-1, I could put bolts thru but it would look pretty doggy on the outside I think.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Howdy @Silverback 

Just went looking for the tv mount project. I knew I had seen one of the Bunnings team members projects but trying to figure out who and what to search for was the key. This one might be one you could do instead of hanging the television off a coolroom wall.

How to build a TV cabinet with wall mount 

@EricL  was the one who poste dthe project. I like it as it can be moved, it has a heavy base like an L so the TV wont topple forward.

I have seen other Entertainment Units upcycled to accomodate the same type of deal but like this one the best as It really is built for purpose.

I hadnt realised how many projects are in here! lol Until you start trolling through some and man there ar so many good ideas out there!

Hope it helps you work out what you can do to get that tv mounted. (Just had a thought now of what type of ceiling do you have in the room? Maybe a bracket hanging down?

Dave

Silverback
Getting Established

Hi Dave, yes that is one good solution. I have seen one with a bracket screwed to to the back of an entertainment cabinet. Ceiling is the same as walls just thicker.

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@Silverback 

Mmmmm you know my next question is going to be? Any chance of a photo/s of the area you want the tv to be hung? :smile:

Puzzles are fun and working out how to hang a tv and make it look good is one of the harder ones but always doable.

Dave

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Silverback 

A standard cool room wall panel is either made of Colorbond or PVC that sandwiches insulation material between them. They are often self-supporting due to their light weight, but they are not structurally strong hence you can't hang anything on them. There are exceptions of course, such as when the wall has been fortified with steel framing.  

The Colorbond thickness is usually around .35mm, it's not very thick and can't hold anything heavy on it. Drilling into it is not an option as the weight of the product is suddenly concentrated on that single point where you drilled. The steel either buckles, pops or slowly gets torn down due to the weight applied to it.

In order to give our members a better idea of the space available, would it be possible for you to post a picture of the area? Is there also a secondary spot for the TV rather than just the cold wall? Once we see the area, we should be able to offer recommendations on where to hang the TV.

If you need a hand posting the photos, please let me know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

@MitchellMc and @Silverback 

:smile: I just re-read MitchellMC's response and he posted the link to @EricL project ages ago :smile: Sigh, end of the week is my only excuse. :smile: It always helps to re-read the project :smile:

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects