Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to hang 13kg mirror on rendered brick wall?

consida86
Just Starting Out

How to hang 13kg mirror on rendered brick wall?

Hi,

We have an old house with rendering over brick wall. We're looking to hang a mirror (~13kg) and would like some advice on what we need to attach to the wall in order to do this (what sort of screws or bolts should we use etc).

When we are drilling through, I guess we won't be able to tell whether we're drilling into brick or the mortar (unless we somehow chip away a section of the render?)

The mirror currently has a metal wire on the frame which was used to hang it previously.

JacobZ
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to hang 13kg mirror on rendered brick wall

Hi @consida86,

Thank you for your question on hanging a mirror on a rendered brick wall and welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community, it is great to have you with us.

Assuming the wire on the mirror is still sufficiently sturdy, I would suggest using Zenith SureHook Masonry Picture Hangers. These come with a masonry bit for predrilling the holes required for the anchors.

As you've said, the only real way to see what you are drilling into beneath the render is to chip away a small amount of render before committing to your drill holes. If you are hitting classic house bricks, the dust coming from the hole will be a reddish colour. 

Please remember when drilling into masonry to wear all required personal protective equipment including eye protection, hearing protection and a mask.

Let me know if you require further assistance.

Jacob

Re: How to hang 13kg mirror on rendered brick wall

Thanks Jacob! Will give that a go!

Cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects