Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix paint that has ripped off wall back to plasterboard?

Nikki82
Getting Established

How to fix paint that has ripped off wall back to plasterboard?

I had a command hook up with a picture that fell and ripped off a good bit of the paint back to brown im guessing plasterboard just wondering what do i need to do to fix it and repaint i am hoping just this section. I have lightly sanded the loose bits of paint off.

20230304_181840.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix paint that has ripped off wall back to plasterboard

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @Nikki82. It's a pleasure to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing plasterboard.

You'll need to apply a thin coat of filler over the area where the paper has been torn away. This is to fill the depth of the missing paper. Once the filler has dried, give it a quick sand so it is flush with the surrounding area, and then prime it before painting. It's important not to skip the priming step as you need to seal the porous cement-based filler.

Remember your PPE when sanding, including a facemask and safety glasses.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi again @Nikki82,

I thought I'd also point you to a couple of previous discussions on the topic, including How to fix ripped paper in drywall by @Nanne and How to repair damaged plaster from adhesive glue by @electrictiffey.  

There's some great info in those discussions to read through.

Mitchell

Thank you. Do i need to use primer before i use filler? A couple of videos i watched they said to use primer first then filler. 

Also does it matter which primer i use as in water base/oil base or shellac base?

Thank you

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Nikki82,

I'd be inclined to apply the filler first so it can grip onto the exposed paper. If you seal the surface first, it might prevent the filler from gripping adequately.

Given that you are most likely going to use a water-based wall paint it would be best to stick with a water-based primer. Whatever product you use, just check on the can to ensure it says you can use a water-based top coat.

Mitchell

Ok thank you. I am heading into my local Bunnings tomorrow to grab what i need and get a bit of the paint that ripped off colour matched  

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Good Morning @Nikki82 

How did the repair go? I have just seen someone else with a similar issue and would love to see a repair completed or in the process of being done (even if it isnt perfect as we are our own worse enemys) 

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects