Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix a crack in the ceiling?

Rebeccno
Finding My Feet

How to fix a crack in the ceiling?

Hi,

How can I fix the crack in the ceiling near the vents?

20230418_135953.jpg

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: How to fix a crack in the ceiling?

Hello @Rebeccno 

Thanks for sharing your question about repairing the crack in your ceiling. In order to repair the damage to your ceiling the vent cover must be taken off first. Once the cover is off you can assess how bad the damage is. 

If the crack on the plaster is bad, it will be necessary to paste a small timber support at the back of the plaster to prevent it from cracking again when you reinstall the vent cover. I suggest using Selleys 100g Liquid Nails Construction Adhesive.

Once the adhesive is dry and the timber support is anchored in place, you can now repair the damage. Clean the surface as best you can and remove excess plaster paper still sticking out. I recommend using Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid Gap Filler to cover the damage on the plaster. 

Once the plaster is dry you can then sand it down and prepare the surface for painting.

Please make sure to wear personal protection such gloves, goggles and a mask when doing your repairs.

Here is a handy step-by-step guide: 

If you need further assistance, please let us know,

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rebeccno
Finding My Feet

@EricL thank you so much. Last question how can I remove the vent cover? I should start working on this on Tuesday. Just need as much info before I start my first repair.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Rebeccno,

There's a good chance that the damage was caused by someone trying to remove the vent cover. Typically, there would be a few mounting clips around the outside of the cover that should pop off when the cover is eased away from the ceiling. The actual ducting itself is mounted to the plaster with a cowling with clips attached to the hole's edge. It appears that when the cover was pulled to release it, it pulled the cowling as well and cracked the plaster at one of the mounting points. I'd suggest going around the perimeter, slipping a flat scraper behind the cover plate and seeing if you can gently pop it off in the corners. Also, open the vents and see if there are any mounting screws or similar that you can access through them.

Please let us know how you go or if you have further questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects